Does anyone use the nipple water drinkers?

Have been using them in 5-gallon buckets, 4 per bucket for our 12 girls. They caught on quickly. We use these exclusively & are very happy with them. Got them on ebay-quite inexpensive - would be worth twice the money!

LOVE nipple waterers. We also put them on the bottom of a bicycle water bottle in the brooder. Top came off easily for checking level and topping off. They also came with their own holder which we screwed through the side of the brooder (instead of the bike) and could easily lift the bottle in and out.

Now we have a 5 gallon outside and one inside that the weather will start getting cooler in a month or so.

We built a waterer , have two video's of it here under (Our first try at raising chickens, Shelly Swanby)
This this is fabulous! Chickens took to it 2 mins after it was ready to go. Look up my Profile and see the video.

Water Nipples saved my chickens (as they were headed for the freezer) and my sanity!!!!!

Background:
I am a new chicken owner, we got 25 barred rock Pullets from Privett hatchery. to my surprise they came via us postal service.... and all arrived alive! why not. right? so a family member who had been raising chickens for years said all you need is pen area, pine shavings a 1 qt waterer, a small plastic feeder tray and heat lamp. EZ as pie right........ ohhhhhh by the way they NEED to have access to CLEAN water 24/7 with emphasis on the clean or basically they get sick and die.....

How hard could this be.... Well let me tell ya.... I thought my two children were high maintenance think again!! every 2 hrs I was cleaning their water (freeing it from poop and pine shavings) as well as cleaning the food troff 2x daily. I'm like this better be worth it!!! so this routine went on for the first 3 weeks of their lives.... I was at my wits end with keeping them clean and watered! THIS WAS NOT FUN OR EZ THIS WAS WORK!!!!

The Solution:
I did a little internet surfing and heard about poultry nipples. I got the thread type off of amazon.com they had a 25 pack for $10.99, that was a cost I was willing to try! a trip to the hardware store, 5gal bucket, hose, pvc pipe, and some fittings. and some slight higher thinking with design and delivery.......... and ........... wait for it ........ WALA. a 4' PVC pipe with 5 water nipples and gravity fed from the 5 gal bucket, my chicken's were spared early freezer storage.

This has kept my pen cleaner (less drenched from splashing or spilled water bowls) and poop free water. was relatively simple to construct and very cost effective! about $30 in all for the supplies. and a 100% savings on the energy required to keep the girls happy with clean water!!!

Currently I have one pvc line with five nipples for my 25 pullets. they seem to be sharing well so far. they will be moving into their coop next week and i'm not sure if 5 is enough for them but we'll see.

I taught mine how to use them by just tapping them and making them drip water and the chickens got curious and came and tried it out for themselves.

I have two set ups, on my older chickens i have a 5 gallon bucket with 1" pvc pipe and on my younger chickens i just have them screwed into the caps on some 2 liter bottles but will make them a bucket system once i make a bigger pen for them.

They all learned how to use them easily and now since it's cooled off they go weeks without me having to refil their water, I'm guessing they drank more during the summer ( which is understandable)

I think I got mine for around $8 for 10 from ebay. But I ordered from the US, last time I ordered something from China it took a while to get here so I'd rather pay a little extra and get them quicker.

Back
Top Bottom