Does Anyone Use Wing Bands?

Here at Spring Creek Peafowl we use a combination of Jiffy wing tags and colored zip ties on the legs. We have 30 different breeding pens so the colored zips tell us from a distance which pen the bird came from and the wings tags gives the serial number of the bird. Other pertinent info is recorded in the journals for that year. The wing tags has the year and the same serial number on both wings and our name and telephone number on the back side. We also have leg closed butt bands for our breeders.
IMG_6181.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG

Probably hard to see at a distance but maybe the adjustable metal bands (sort of look like a belt) could be an option if you haven't tried them yet?

I'm not familiar with those. Any photos, sources, etc?

Here at Spring Creek Peafowl we use a combination of Jiffy wing tags and colored zip ties on the legs. We have 30 different breeding pens so the colored zips tell us from a distance which pen the bird came from and the wings tags gives the serial number of the bird.

Thank you. That's very helpful.

I use wing bands.
And a notebook.
I wait until they are around 2 weeks old to apply them since their wings are too tiny for me to attach them accurately.
Some folks dont have a problem.

If I need to identify at hatch, I use colored bands until then.

Each bird gets a band and I write the number in my book along with the hatch date, parents and any other chick info.
As they grow, I can add more notes for that particular bird.

The only drawback is having to handle them to see who they are but I consider this a plus.

Back
Top Bottom