does anyone vaccinate the chicks they hatch?

chickengrl

Songster
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Northern Virginia
Do you vaccinate? What do you vaccinate for? We have 3 week old chicks in the basement brooder and unfortunately are having a respiratory infection running through the coop outside. So, was wondering what other folks do. thanks

I am planning on doing some hatching this Spring and will be vaccinating for Marek's and Newcastle/Infectious Bronchitis. Along with that, they are raised on medicated chick feed that prevents cocci (or at least too much of it).

Otherwise, I will do my best to look out for disease and keep it away. Knowing it first hand, I don't want to go down that road again.

Good question...a newbie here and just hatched my second batch ( and last as only have a small city flock)
caf.gif
I did not vaccinate mine after some advice from others in my area.

Also the link to the article was helpful...thanks.

Quote:
x2

It might be too late to vaccinate for mareks but you can still vaccinate for newcastles. The vaccine is commonly administered in the water they drink.

I am planning on doing some hatching this Spring and will be vaccinating for Marek's and Newcastle/Infectious Bronchitis. Along with that, they are raised on medicated chick feed that prevents cocci (or at least too much of it).

I just culled a chicken yesterday. An experience that I thought was awful!
sad.png
(She had a resp. infection. ) I am definitely going to try to vaccinate for both mentioned above. I am uncertain where to get the vaccine. But I am really thinking about it.​

Last edited:
If you plan on selling them do not vaccinate leave it up to the buyer. Most if not all the people I sell to do not want vaccinated birds for numerous reason that I will not go into for the reasons they tell me.

Hmmm, I have been researching, but it is confusing. It appears that some of the vaccinations can make the bird a carrier of the disease. Kinda defeats the purpose, wouldn't it. Sorry can't remember whicj one did that.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom