Does anyone wring the chickens' necks when killing them

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
When I was a kid about ten-twelve, I used to chase and catch a chicken chosen by my grandmother when I was visiting her. Then I would take its head into my hands and start wringing it in a circle until the head came off the way she taught me. The chicken would flop all over the ground. Once it stopped, my grandmother would dip it in a large, black pot that she had a fire going under to boil water. She'd dip in the chicken and then begin removing feathers. After that, she'd fry the chicken. Sure was good.
Does anyone still do their killing that way. Everyone that I knew in Kentucky wrung their chickens' necks, and before I came on this forum I thought EVERYBODY did that for home butchering. I've not read about it being done on here though.

I did almost the same thing as Cason. We put a big dowel rod over their neck, stepped on the dowel, and pulled on their legs until the neck came apart from the head inside. Only we didn't pull the heads all the way off. I would drop to my knees, collect the bird, and hold it till it stopped moving. Then hang them and cut their necks to bleed out.

Back
Top Bottom