1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by siz8003, Feb 13, 2008.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    Have a problem with WWs that break? I have had 2 so far that just broke after a few days [​IMG] Is it poison to the chicks?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Never had one...

But hopefully it is non toxic. Never know if there's something more than food coloring and water in them... but other than plastic sprinkles, see no reason why they'd put other stuff in there.

3. [​IMG] I've never had that problem.
    I bet that was a colorful mess.
    What 'brand' was it so future 'wiggler/weasel hunters' will know to steer clear of those?

Lisa

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one start to leak about the 3 days into incubation.

I was wondering why the probe was spiking so high. I pulled out the wiggler and is started to leak everywhere!

Mine was the "Water Snake" sold at The Dollar Tree.

Next time when I buy them I am making sure not to grab the first one on the display. I'll pull one out in the back.

Not sure maybe someone played with it before I bought it? [​IMG]

5. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    If I am right it is just sterile water in the weasles. My kids broke one a couple of weeks ago and there was only glitter in the water, as the plastic casing was colored. If they have a clear shell, they use food coloring in them as you never know when someone's kids is going to accidently break it when they are playing.

Bet that raised the humidity a bit, [​IMG]

Leslie

6. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    Yes it did rise the humidity and then i noticed the problem I had my sis get them at Stop-n-Shop It is called the Wacky Water Snake It was $3 and it broke that fast [​IMG] don't get this kind

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't use one either...making a note another reason not to use one!......that would be a watery mess to clean around with eggs in the bator....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by