Does anyone's chicken sound like a duck?

My Buff orp, and my bantam cochin do that. If they hear us walking around the outside of the pen (wood, 6 ft high, fence). They start "quacking" at us. They'll also do it whenever they are bored, because they want to come out of their pen and go to the "greener pastures" that they know are just outside their little area. Because we've let them out on occasion. They now feel it is their duty to inform us that what they have is not enough, so they stand at the gate door and fuss. Spoiled brats. It's only those two that do it, because they're the only ones that have been allowed out, lol. The rest of the flock are quite content with their pen, and don't know what all the fuss is about.

I think this is part of the reason ours quacks as well. He will quack at the fence of the run and put his foot up like he wants to climb out. Then when we take him/her out, he just follows us around the yard, every step. Sometimes he'll get so into whatever he's eating outside, he won't notice that we're more that 5 feet away, so when he finally looks up he'll scurry over as fast as he can. He actually makes us feel terrible for not spending every second with him! Spoiled, spoiled chicken.​

I purchased a brown with black racing stripes chick from TSC this spring. I later found out she was a Bantam; she often sounds like a duck.

I have a couple of quackers
wink.png

My Silkie, Tina [RIP sweet girl] would do Peacock impersonations when she was brooding; she would sit quietly on the nest but whenever she took a break she would stand in the middle of her run and screech like a Peacock.

I have two Silkie X’s that are coming up for 21 weeks old and they have just discovered their grown up chicken voice .. shame they have not discovered the volume control also
wink.png

But yep, these two sound like ducks! One of them laid her first egg this week .. imagine a duck doing the egg song
lau.gif
She was soo loud there was no question as to who had laid and because of all the noise, the rest joined in and celebrated with her which bought out the neighbours [who love the girls] and we all celebrated
celebrate.gif

I have a Bantam Cochin who demands to be let out for a free range and if I do not comply, she crows!!

My hen is 5 months old and does this too. It's so loud and annoying. She makes more noise than my rooster ! I sure hope she outgrows it.

My chickens got soaking wet a week ago it was also very cold. Now one of them sounds like a duck. She didnt sound like that before. I thought maybe she was sick. Shes acting, eating, laying fine. But it makes me concerned.

Back
Top Bottom