Does broody give any signs that eggs are about to hatch or are hatching?

Sep 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Day 20. I gave mama some watermelon this evening and she kind of stood up a couple of inches for just a few seconds. Haven’t seen her do that since she started sitting. I can hear no peeps. She seems to be sitting more intently and isn’t getting off the nest at all anymore. Are these signs that they are starting to hatch, or coming very soon? Are there any other things I can look for? It’s tough because I can’t see anything. I really don’t want to either... I only want to see the babies heads popping out under mamas wings!

Day 20. I gave mama some watermelon this evening and she kind of stood up a couple of inches for just a few seconds. Haven’t seen her do that since she started sitting. I can hear no peeps. She seems to be sitting more intently and isn’t getting off the nest at all anymore. Are these signs that they are starting to hatch, or coming very soon? Are there any other things I can look for? It’s tough because I can’t see anything. I really don’t want to either... I only want to see the babies heads popping out under mamas wings!
The only way I knew mine were hatching is because I heard/saw a commotion and went out and mama hen had gotten up to chase off a curious hen and in the process had dropped one of the chicks out of the coop (it was probably under her wing) so I went and got it and put it back safely under mama. At that point I think 2 had hatched, I could see their heads poke out and hear the peeps. The next day by noon there were 7! But my broody didn’t give me any signs really. None that I noticed anyway. And mine hatched day 20-21

My broodies didn't signal anything I noticed either. Four were in nests and one of the kids went out to gather eggs like always. The kid ran back in the house hollering, "they're hatching, they're hatching!" And it was like a three-alarm fire drill as we ran around in circles waving our arms and bumping into each other! 😆 We were so excited we didn't know what to do! We finally got ourselves sorted out. DH grabbed the hen, I put the chicks and hatching eggs along with nesting material on a trash can lid and we carried the whole family out to the well house. The kids opened and closed gates and doors and the dog jumped up and down and shouted encouragement. When we finally got that little family settled, we went back and moved the other three hens. It was madness! But all four went on to hatch with no problems. They were Buff Orpingtons, if anyone's wondering.

The only way I knew mine were hatching is because I heard/saw a commotion and went out and mama hen had gotten up to chase off a curious hen and in the process had dropped one of the chicks out of the coop (it was probably under her wing) so I went and got it and put it back safely under mama. At that point I think 2 had hatched, I could see their heads poke out and hear the peeps. The next day by noon there were 7! But my broody didn’t give me any signs really. None that I noticed anyway. And mine hatched day 20-21
Had you heard any peeps prior to that? I keep getting close to her in hopes of hearing a sound, but I’m met with the dreaded silence. I’m really worried her eggs didn’t survive. I was useless at candling. I saw something and it got bigger each time, but who knows the last 5 or 6 days?

Had you heard any peeps prior to that? I keep getting close to her in hopes of hearing a sound, but I’m met with the dreaded silence. I’m really worried her eggs didn’t survive. I was useless at candling. I saw something and it got bigger each time, but who knows the last 5 or 6 days?
I didn’t hear any peeps prior to that happening! That’s why when I went to see what the commotion was I was shocked to see it involved chicks! I had been listening close to her and had heard nothing yet

I hope you get some chicks soon! I did a poor attempt at candeling around 10 days but only tried one or 2 eggs and didn’t see anything so I left her alone. I was more worried about disturbing the eggs and her than trying to candle so I just left it alone. So I had no idea if her eggs were good or not, having 7 of the 9 hatch was a very pleasant surprise to me. Is today day 21 for you?

I hope you get some chicks soon! I did a poor attempt at candeling around 10 days but only tried one or 2 eggs and didn’t see anything so I left her alone. I was more worried about disturbing the eggs and her than trying to candle so I just left it alone. So I had no idea if her eggs were good or not, having 7 of the 9 hatch was a very pleasant surprise to me. Is today day 21 for you?
Yes, day 21! Two different days she got out of the run we rigged up for her and couldn’t get back in for what I’m guessing was about 1-3 hours each time. We did fix it finally! One day was quite warm, the other not so much. I candled only the second time after that and they seemed bigger, but like you, I didn’t want to touch them. I’m so glad you had no signs at all beforehand. That gives me hope!! 😀 I will post if I get any babies. She has 8 eggs, but I’m pretty sure one was never any good. It’s a very dark egg.

Yes, day 21! Two different days she got out of the run we rigged up for her and couldn’t get back in for what I’m guessing was about 1-3 hours each time. We did fix it finally! One day was quite warm, the other not so much. I candled only the second time after that and they seemed bigger, but like you, I didn’t want to touch them. I’m so glad you had no signs at all beforehand. That gives me hope!! 😀 I will post if I get any babies. She has 8 eggs, but I’m pretty sure one was never any good. It’s a very dark egg.
Yes definitely post if you do! I doubt that her being off of them those times did any harm. When mine was broody I did a lot of googling and I read that they can be off for a while and it won’t do any harm. Wishing you luck!!

Mine didn't do anything special or different and I had no way of knowing but just waiting patiently to hear peeps or see heads poking out. Some hens stop leaving the nest after lockdown, others don't. Mine kept getting up to eat even after lockdown. We had a snowstorm right then, too, so I was worried. She did fine though, and still hatched all her eggs. The chicks are 3 weeks old now and doing great. Make sure the other chickens can't get to her, and let her be. Patience is hard around this time :D

No babies yet, but my Cochin just went broody 4 hours ago! Oh boy. There are only so many coops available.
Mine didn't do anything special or different and I had no way of knowing but just waiting patiently to hear peeps or see heads poking out. Some hens stop leaving the nest after lockdown, others don't. Mine kept getting up to eat even after lockdown. We had a snowstorm right then, too, so I was worried. She did fine though, and still hatched all her eggs. The chicks are 3 weeks old now and doing great. Make sure the other chickens can't get to her, and let her be. Patience is hard around this time :D
My mama hatched the first egg which I think she killed. The second one seems fine but I pulled it and put it in a box next to a heat screen (?). It probably will not survive because I don’t know what to do! Mama is acting very weird. Every time one peeps, she stands and and wants to reach under her for it. Do you remember if this is what your mama did as the eggs were hatching? I’m trying to decide whether to put the baby back and hope for the best or whether it is likely she will kill the rest based on what seems to be usual behavior. Any suggestions would be so helpful. I’m at a loss and so distraught. @kokoshka

Back
Top Bottom