Does Color Matter for Feeding?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ZedR, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    OK.. I know this might sound crazy but it seems as though my quail are eating more out of my yellow feeder than my two red feeders. Am I just crazy? Could color have something to do with it?

I mean they CLEAN out the yellow plastic feeder and leave about 1/2 in the reds.

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Hi there.
    I wouldn't think colour would have anything to do with which one they eat out of.
    I may be wrong so someone else might help more.
    But I am just going to make a few suggestions on maybe why they prefer the yellow one.
    Maybe the dominant quail goes to the yellow feeder so the others follow
    Or else they are just used to using the yellow feeder more than the red?
    Fionn.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Dont own quail but avian domesticated birds always prefer a feeder just like humans always have there mug that they drink out of.

4. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    Thank you both.. I figured I was "over thinking it" but I found it interesting. Anyone have a kid in school who needs a science fair project? LOL

5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Interesting. Most feeders I've seen (the plastic ones, anyway) are red. Come to think of it, so are the waterers. For most birds,even wild ones!

1 person likes this.
  6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Well most birds are pollinators, which makes the colors red and yellow stand out more to them. Hummingbirds are a good example; they prefer the color red, so most feeders have red fluid and little red and yellow flowers on them.

Preference of yellow over red? Maybe the yellow is brighter? Do quail prefer sunflower seeds in the wild? Mine ate the seeds out of dead sunflowers like they were Scooby snacks lol. Maybe their natural preference has something to do with it...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    I think that they might choose another feeder over another one. I did a science experiment with goats which color of bowl they want to eat out of, but I forgot which one they choose.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by