Does drake need to be separated from baby ducks?

ChristineR

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 15, 2011
WA state
My Welsh Harlequin duck is sitting on eggs. This is a new experience for me (and her!) and it occurred to me that I might need to separate the drake from the duck and ducklings.

Will drakes hurt or kill their ducklings? I just have 2 ducks, but I have another pen that I could put him in right next to the other if I need to.

If There in a very small pen then i would suggest seperation. If they have quite a bit of room i dont think it'll be a problem. To be honest the drakes dont care much for the babies and will probably leave them alone, but might follow mama around. If the drake doesn't bother them then you dont have to seperate them. If the drake does try to attack them then yes i'd seperate them. He might peck at the babies once or twice which is normal, my drakes do that. My drakes have never tried to hurt the babies, though. Hope i helped.
smile.png

The pair of them are in a 8' x 6' chain link dog kennel that I've reinforced with chicken wire (to keep out predators).

It will depend upon the individual drake. My experience with mallard derived drakes is that most do not bother ducklings. My experience with muscovy drakes has not been so positive. Monitor his behavior and remove him if he becomes aggressive.

I don't know about the WH but my mallard just hatched 8 babies this weekend - I kept them locked up away from dad all day Saturday, Saturday night but I let them all out Sunday morning. He follows them around and helps herd them back to momma if one tries to stray. He is a good daddy - no problems....so far!!
fl.gif

Well, I am down to 5 eggs. I don't know what is happening to them, but I suspect it has something to do with my drake. Last night I came home with my new pen a friend gave me and there was another egg out of the nest, broken. This time it was a fully formed little duckling who looked almost ready to hatch.
sad.png
I separated my drake in the new pen last night because I think he must be doing something.

I'm wondering if he's trying to mate in the nest and breaking eggs. Has anyone ever seen that happen? I would think that Maggie, the female, would guard her nest, but she is smaller than him...

????

Back
Top Bottom