Does each hen need it's own nesting box?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goldeneggtees, Mar 15, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, I am completely new to this and haven't ordered my chicks yet but I was wondering if each hen needs her own nesting box? In other words - if I get 6-8 chicks (and hopefully they all live) do I need 6-8 nesting boxes?

Thanks, howlinggood

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The rule of thumb is 1 nest for 4 laying hens. If you have 6 to 8 hens, I'd go with two.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    1 next box for every 4 hens is plenty.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you give them 20 nest boxes, they're still gonna fight over their favorite one. [​IMG]
    I would give them at least two in case one girl just can't wait any longer.

5. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can have more chickens then go with 3 at least because you WILL get more chickens- lol! We built 6 nesting boxes and there is not really one that doesn't get used. I originally was planning only 12 chickens...well I sure do have more than 12 now! I am glad DH didn't have to build another set of nesting boxes-he wouldn't have been too happy.

6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    wow! im glad this question was answered! i have 7 hens in with my roo, and have 4 boxes. No one uses them. LOL

7. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Seems like I always have most of the eggs in one nest. I always wonder how they all get in the box. I have seen as many as three in one nest at a time.

8. mother goose

mother goose New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    hey,i got 7 red star chickens....but it appears only 2 are laying.....any advice?i got 2 nests.also of the seven,the 2 who we r suspecting r laying..combs r much brighter then the others.......is it possible they havent hit maturation even though they came fr the same place.In other words........what could be holding up production?lolol

9. for 6-8 chicks i would get 4 nesting boxes
    Good Luck!

10. i have 11 hens 2 roos and i have 4 nesting boxes only one hen uses them but then mt RIR eats it!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by