Does every flock have a complainer?

<sigh> I have Daphne - good old nothing-is-right-in-her-world Daphne. She's an EE, and although she hasn't started laying yet she is awfully quick to stand on the nest box bar and scream at Ida, my only layer thus far. Daphne actually paces that bar, glaring at Ida and scolding her in no uncertain terms. When Ida comes out and sings her egg song, Daphne has to give her one or two little pecks on the head. I don't know what that's about but Ida almost acts like it's a natural part of the routine....like she'd be lost without Daphne pecking her. So the routine is, Ida in the nest, Daphne pacing the bar yelling at Ida to get out, egg laid, egg song sung, a peck on Ida's head, then all is peaceful - until one of the others is too close to where she's standing, or finds a bug she didn't spot, or whatever.....she just complains.
She stands at the door of the run in the evenings yelling at us to let them out for their free time. She pecks at one corner of the hardware cloth that seems particularly offensive to her for some reason, and we don't know what that reason is. I don't know how she can keep her eye on 19 other chickens at one time, but she manages to know where each one is and exactly what each one's doing at any given moment. You can hear her over and over again, "Nooooo no no no no nooooo". She'd just better hope that when she starts laying those eggs are large and perfectly blue to justify her arrogance!

Always in charge and seeing if she can find anything else to annoy her!

And yelling at me, as usual.

Last edited:
Oh, it's nothing too noisy. Just some peeps and squawks. Our Buff was a little noisy for about a week, but once settled into the coop, her alarm chirp turned into more of a quiet "mwaack". They'll be fine, however, I think there are some breeds that are noisier than others.

HAHAHAAAA! That about sums up our Buff O, too! You'd think it would be in their nature to keep quiet when they are separated - hunker down and keep a low profile. Too funny.

That little clown face is Lorpy Lu - she is stealth complaining right in my ear. Red, my BSL, is quiet as a mouse but is always on the lookout.

I have a complainer too she is always getting out and she is sort of a show off she once went into the house when we were cleaning and jumped onto a chair we were so afraid she might poop on something

Glenda!! She's a witch alright. Alarm when the wind blows, rain falls, squirrel passes through, we don't let her out at exactly 5am, someone is in "her" nest box. She looks so sweet. It's all a ruse.

I have 3! One in particular will march right up to me with her beady little eyes staring right up at me, bawk bawk bawking, following me around, saying, "HEY YOU the water is STILL dirty!"
"HEY YOU give me my eggs!" "HEY YOU its too hot!" Whenever I have a bag/bucket/dish of treats she will follow me around pecking the container, until I give it to her. Silly chicken. My other likes to SCREAM!!! It sounds like a human scream/cry and it is really very creepy.

I have a Barred Rock Rooster who...I can't figure out. I just know he whines ALL the time!!!
I call him Bruce.

Bruce is the 'other' rooster. The rooster that skips when he comes running along. The rooster that has these beautiful tail feathers that flap in the wind. The rooster that will just sit down in a corner facing the wall and whine half the day for reasons unknown to even himself.

I have two roosters and over 20 hens now..and while The Governor acts like a real rooster, Bruce is walking around being a whiner for no reason. Infact when people come over they say he is more annoying than the other rooster crowing all the time.
He has always been a bit odd but he has his duties. He will 'find' food for the other ladies..often this may be a ploy to get them in so he can grab their comb (but usually misses because he is awkward) to mate, but instead he tears off a feather on the head instead and sends the girls running.
He will make this high pitches 'eeeeeaaaakhh' that will go on for...just wait....10 minutes straight, I swear in one breath! It is generally compared to air coming out of a balloon..a giant balloon!
He always stands guard in the door at dusk, waiting for all the ladies to come in and roost. He will stand there watching, to make sure everyone is in. And is usually a watchful eye.
Since he was 1 day old, Bruce gets sleepy in odd places. He will suddenly decide wherever he is is a nice place to sit down..and shortly after a nap will follow. Sometimes in the middle of the lawn. Any interruptions call for hot air being let out of his mysterious tank of a body to alert....well anyone who is trying to ignore it.
Sometimes he will go sit infront of a tree and face it..and make his squeaky whine for 10 minutes or more. Other times he will be in the barn alone and whining.
I realize I should have just named him Skippy, but he always just seemed like a Bruce.
By way of miracle...even though I am not sure he ever successfully mates with any ladies (being so awkward and unbalanced and...well whiney), I managed to get at least 1 of 11 chicks born this spring his own.
Bruce is special, even though he is a whiney weirdo.

Back
Top Bottom