Does everyone candle? Do you need to?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ginbart, Jan 24, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I was thinking, I have 8 EE eggs I know I won't be able to see in and 16 brown eggs. I have a fish tank tube I use to add water so I don't need to open the bator. As long as everything smells ok do I really need to candle?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I didn't know anything about candling until I found BYC and I had no problems hatching previously.
    You don't have too. Just don't be disappointed when you don't have a 100% hatch, some are infertile, scrambled or died.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Thanks SterlingAcres,

My last hatch I had 15 out of 24 hatch so I'm thinking I would like to see if its better not to open the bator at all. These are my eggs so I hope their not scrambled. LOL But DH carrys them in his pocket when he brings them in.

I was thinking that the hens don't candle so why do we need to. [​IMG]

4. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    From what I've read, as long as you keep sniffin' for stinky eggs, you don't NEED to candle...just keep an eye (nose) out for rotten ones & discard so they don't explode in 'bator [​IMG] & ruin your hatch!

As for me, candling was my own private "sub-addiction" to the whole "addicted to chickens" thing; LOVED to watch them develop!

Plus I was kinda "doing it for my girls" ages 7 and 4, they were mesmerized, AND I figured hens get off the nest for a few minutes daily days 1 thru 18, sooooooooo a brief "cool down, increased ventilation" for candling kinda mimics that...

Then again, like any true addict, I may just be rationalizing my behavior...
    [​IMG]

Had a great hatch, tho..

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Candling is only useful if you want to keep check on the fertility of your eggs. It's fun though to see the fetus growing! Also you can get rid of the clear eggs before they burst.

6. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I love to candle them too but I think I will keep my nose (eyes) open and the bator closed. I want to see if I get a better hatch. At least thats what I'm going to try and do until Feb 2ed. [​IMG]

7. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm not going to make it. Today is day 7 and I want to candle. [​IMG]

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    If you plan to do much incubating, you need to candle your eggs!
    You will kick yourself after you have to clean up an exploded egg, and possibly loose good eggs due to this.
    Smell sometimes don't cut it.
    I would never set any without candling them, you can get actual EGG CANDLEING LIGHTS for $20 or so,they will easily shine threw the dark shells, and a single bulb has lasted me for over 15 years and going. They are much better for this than a flash light, though they work too.
    In short, you don't have to, but it is a very good practice, will save you the risk of an ungodly mess to clean, and hey, it's just plain fun to watch them develop, and fun is why we do this right?

Get a light, and you'll be truly addicted then,
    Good luck with the hatch,
    Aubrey

9. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:It's funny, I do have a good flash light I can see through and I candled all my eggs before. I just wanted to try not opening the bator. But OK you talked me into it. [​IMG]

10. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Quote:I agree!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by