Does everyone stress ordering chicks the first time 😱

Yes. All are well. I do understand mistakes happen and I’m not looking to get my birds free. It was more the point of my inconvenience having taken multiple days off of work and now needing to find them homes. I don’t have the set up for this many etc… they certainly admitted they made a mistake but that was the extent. I do believe these are very health and happy birds. Four just left and the rest will follow soon. We might (who am I kidding, we will) keep 2.
I don’t blame you. I’ve had a flawless customer experience with Mt Healthy twice, besides a surprise cockerel out of 9 sexed pullets. I would feel the same if I were in your shoes. You’re not even going to get all the birds you want in the end. It seems they should be more sorry than they are.

I am still super curious what HE had ordered...

Chill Popcorn GIF
He ordered 10 Welsummer and 10 barred rock pullets.

So I decided to use my broody hen for the chicks I’m keeping. She seems to have taken to them but my question is can they go outside with her? I will keep her inside w them until they’re older before introducing to the other two hens I have. But in general at what age is it safe for them to go out and peck around w her (supervised)?Pickles is mom (silkie). And then we have princess (sebright, top hen. Crows like a rooster every day on top of the coop 🤦🏻‍♀️) and Minnie (silkie, lowest in order). Im not worried about Minnie. She is very docile. Princess and Pickles are pretty darn close in order so pickles isn’t shy by any means w princess.

And lastly, is it likely that she would accept new chicks Mon as well as long as they’re brand new?

So I decided to use my broody hen for the chicks I’m keeping. She seems to have taken to them but my question is can they go outside with her? I will keep her inside w them until they’re older before introducing to the other two hens I have. But in general at what age is it safe for them to go out and peck around w her (supervised)?Pickles is mom (silkie). And then we have princess (sebright, top hen. Crows like a rooster every day on top of the coop 🤦🏻‍♀️) and Minnie (silkie, lowest in order). Im not worried about Minnie. She is very docile. Princess and Pickles are pretty darn close in order so pickles isn’t shy by any means w princess.
Did you keep barred rocks or welsummers?

Sorry, I’ve never given chicks to a broody hen before

They can follow her outside right away, I'd just keep them separated from the main flock for a bit (preferably where they can see each other, and no, she will not accept any more chicks. If you introduce chicks to a broody it has to be all at once

The post office will usually call you when they arrive. When you get them home, make sure to dip each chick's beak in water as you put them in the brooder.

They can follow her outside right away, I'd just keep them separated from the main flock for a bit (preferably where they can see each other, and no, she will not accept any more chicks. If you introduce chicks to a broody it has to be all at once
Can they eat treats like meal worms yet if they are outside w her for a little bit?

Back
Top Bottom