Does everyone stress ordering chicks the first time 😱

Is it normal for a mama hen not to get up? She is doing a great job mothering but I notice she won’t leave her position.

Yes. She is a silkie so a bit more prone to delaying. They usually stay put a few days after hatching happens.

Make sure there is chick feed and water close to them and the chicks should pop out to eat/drink then they will run back to her.

Pickles’ crop seems quite small every time I check it. She pecks a lot but offers it to her chicks. We only have chick feed in the brooder with her and the chicks. I was wondering if it’s ok to give her some scrambled eggs or something? Though I think she’d give them to the chicks. It’s been so amazing watching her mother these two. We’ve only ever had one hen raise babies but it was out in the coop so I didn’t really get to witness all of the ways they interact w the chicks.

When do you get your makeup order? Are you happy with the surprise chicks you kept? They’re adorable
I got them Monday! So far so good. Sadly they had to sub my red orp out bc they didn’t have any… I’m not going to lie, my experience hasn’t been 100% satisfying. I will say the chicks are all happy and healthy. And in the end that’s really what matters and they shipped very promptly. I’m sure this is very much a one off for them. But very unlucky for me.

I got them Monday! So far so good. Sadly they had to sub my red orp out bc they didn’t have any… I’m not going to lie, my experience hasn’t been 100% satisfying. I will say the chicks are all happy and healthy. And in the end that’s really what matters and they shipped very promptly. I’m sure this is very much a one off for them. But very unlucky for me.
Did they give you any extra?

Here she is

Attachments

• IMG_9470.jpeg
    IMG_9470.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4
I do understand not being 100% with them. But, they are a wonderful hatchery with wonderful birds... do consider giving them another shot in the future! They are wonderful to work with.

I love Mt. Healthy! It's better for me that the PO from the larger town 30 miles away calls me, rather than sending them on the PO in my town, that way I get them a day sooner and saves the chicks a whole day and night of shipping stress and probably saves their lives! They always give me a refund if any chicks arrive DOA, a rare occurrence.

Back
Top Bottom