Does family ever make you sad? It made me sad, I'll tell you why.

How do you feel about you and your family's relationship?

• It's fine we have a lot of fun

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • We get along

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • We used to get along very well but have our moments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just don't see each other

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Family members don't get along well

• Family constantly argues and makes each other feel unloved and are self centered.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Simply don't talk

• Total voters

CamiWammiBammi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
I'm going to tell you a sad little story, about reckless teenagers, and someone who doesn't understand why.. (aka me)...

My cousins are reckless people. They treat their mother and her side of the family horribly (by the way I'm on their mom's side) because their parents got divorced. It all started when we were at lunch with me, my sister, my mom, my aunt, my 2 great aunts, grand mom and my cousins, for my great aunt's birthday. My sister is a photographer and got a professional camera for Christmas, and was asked to get pictures. My oldest cousin (age 18) was making fun of my sister for her camera, called her younger sister (17) an ugly piece of.. poo.. and many more..colorful words. My mom asked her to stop and she yelled at my mom and muttered under her breath "She's not my mother, she's not going to tell me what to do. I'm not a child, I'm (not a nice word) 18." and I quietly asked "So your doing to forget all she has done for you, and just not care at all?" and she screamed "Stop talking about things you don't know about. I was sad, went into the bathroom cried, and came back and sat with my great aunt, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and I gave her a hug. Neither of us spoke, and my cousin screamed I'm leaving to make a phone call. I'll come in when I feel like it. She called her father. He said my mom's the reason he's divorced. She told her mom "Go inside and tell your sister to stop telling me what to do, I'm not her child, and I'm (here we go again) 18." When that was announced inside, me, my sister and my mom immediately left, my mom speaking to my cousin. In addition to that, the 17 year old asked "you wouldn't be acting like this with our dad's family would you?" and she simply answered "no. no one here loves me and I don't like them." Yet again me being stupid and not shutting my mouth answered "Blabbers, (my nickname for her, I put a lot of thought into it
smile.png
) everyone here loves loves you, no question about it." ...no response...

End of that day, next day we go to Pittsburgh to see family. My cousin is perfectly fine.

Last week my sister was at a friend's house and was sad. Her friend asked her what was wrong and told her "my cousins" and went on to tell about their mother etc.. Well that friend told my cousin, and they won't speak to my sister, and the 17 year old not talking to me. I was at my chorus concert for school, and my cousins were their too, for their concert. I went back afterwords to talk to the oldest, and she was really nice and told me I did great, and gave me a hug. The other one said "hi baby, my friend loves you 10x more now because he found out your name." end of conversation, besides telling me the story. I found my mom, said bye to my aunt and left. That was about 5 days ago. Still no conversation.... :(

Does this happen to you? How does it make you feel?

Last edited:
Makes me sad. Unfortunately, you can't pick family.

BUT you can choose who to be around. You don't have to expose yourself to vulgarity. You tell your mother that and choose to stay away from situations where folks like that will be present.

currently I'm dropping them. I'm unusually good at ignoring people I don't like
smile.png
.... this time i waiting for them to apologize because clearly, I didn't do anything to them....

Wait for no apologies otherwise you will spend the rest of your life waiting for it. If they asked whats wrong, then you can inform them what has happened. If they feel any remorse or felt pretty bad, they will apologized. If not, I would not waste my time with them.

18 or not, she is heading for the jail time with that kind of mindset. Too many kids felt they were owed or entitled. Give her time, and feel no pity if she lands in jail. I would not want to be around her either.

It is absolutely unnecessary to associate with rude, abrasive, impolite people - whether they are family or not. It sounds as if your cousins are harboring a lot of anger - they need to get over that before it destroys them. I would suggest distancing yourself from them until their behavior changes for the better. Read my sig line - it has worked for me.
hugs.gif

Don't let it get you down sweetheart. I'm afraid families are often like this. many people's behaviour leaves a lot to be desired, how very rude and obnoxious this cousin sounds! You are loyal to your mum and that is good. Anyone who acts like this at a celebratory meal, particularly with older people, isn't worth bothering about!

Sadly, I know how you feel. I have family that is just down-right rude and condescending. They are hateful and expect the world from everyone but won't lift a finger for anyone else. I have erased them from my life. I don't go to functions if they are going to be there. I'll be (more than likely) skipping a wedding coming up this October or next. Even a cousin that came to live with us when he was 14 (now 28) no longer speaks to us because his fiancee and his mother hate us.
I refuse to let others bring me down like that just because they are unhappy in their lives and jealous of my happiness.
Live your life without their involvement. It's obviously unwanted.

*UPDATE* semi made up? idk but the middle cousin just wanted time away ( we hang out a lot so NOW i understand) the oldest was fine now it's the youngest. First of all I went to their house for my cousin's birthday and he gets there (from his dad's) and is rude to his mom and doesn't even talk to me, my mom and grandmom. But then as if to reward him, my aunt brings up cookies, water and makes him a meatball sandwich to take up to his room while he watches the NHL all star game. I was watching the game down stairs, but he wouldn't come down or let me in his room to watch it with him. So I'm like whatever his going to be rude. I get on the computer, look at the teams and who's on which team. I look at Scott Hartnell's twitter page( favorite player who was at the all star game) and nothing else. When I'm leaving, he comes downstairs and yells WHO HAS A TWITTER ACCOUNT?!?! I answered I don't (figuring he was looking at me due to me being the only one on it) and he answered YOU DO! I answered i DO NOT. yet again, still yelling he says WHO WAS ON SCOTT HARTNELL'S TWITTER PAGE!!!!!!! I answered I was, you don't need a twitter account to look at someones page. No good byes no nothing, and when we sang to his sister, he stood there going mkjhmhmkhhmm (how ever you would spell a grumbling/mumble sound
smile.png
) and as soon as she blew her candles out he SPRINTED up stairs... And he was mean to me the night before when I was ice skating with my/my sister's friends.

Other then the little *hole who doesn't seem to understand the concept of family, family is good right now... except for my dad who is in a new stage where he is constantly drunk and at the gym with his friends and terrifying me and my mom with his actions... I have asthma, extremely bad allergies, bad Reflux Disease , vocal cord dysfunction, constant ear/sinus infections, making me taking multiple essential medicines. He takes all of my GERD and Allergy pills, and I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat a lot in the first place. But all my dad buys is junk food and meat, so when my mom bought me a fruit salad, he ate the WHOLE thing. I didn't get any
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom