Does fencing actually help?

Elbent

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2022
I just adopted my friend’s chickens and I am confused about fencing. We are in a small city in a suburban area. Nocturnal predators shouldn’t be an issue because we will lock them in at night. I am having trouble understanding just how much protection the run can provide. The biggest thread we are seeing would be the neighbor’s dog. I am planning on telling them they cannot let their dog run wild but it’s not the best behaved animal. I’m seeing posts that say to bury the fence, but can’t the dog just climb over it? We also occasionally have coyotes and even a coywolf once. I’m concerned we can’t defend from everything (I know realistically we can’t, but I had a traumatic experience where my whole flock of quail was killed, so I’m feeling nervous). What’s the best plan of action here? Thank you in advance.

Fencing definitely helps.

I didn't bury the fence but placed a 2' strip along the ground securing it to the run frame and pinning it down with 12" long landscape edging pins. It keeps diggers out. Having wire, netting or a solid roof on the run keeps jumpers, climbers and hawks out.

The type of fencing matters too. I am in the suburbs so used chain link covered in chicken wire. My entire yard also has 6' fencing. Anything coming in has to breach both the perimeter fence and the run fence.

Are you talking about fencing for a yard or for a run? Most wouldn’t recommended and uncovered run. My girls “free range” in our yard (that happens to have chain link fence) b it the fence doesn’t deter them. The idea of burying fence is so if a predator were to dig that would be blocked. You have to predator proof based on your needs/your known predators, if you’re concerned about something jumping over than you need a taller fence. You have decide what risks you’re willing to take.

Are you talking about fencing for a yard or for a run? Most wouldn’t recommended and uncovered run. My girls “free range” in our yard (that happens to have chain link fence) b it the fence doesn’t deter them. The idea of burying fence is so if a predator were to dig that would be blocked. You have to predator proof based on your needs/your known predators, if you’re concerned about something jumping over than you need a taller fence. You have decide what risks you’re willing to take.
Fencing for a yard. We don’t have a run. Guess I don’t know the terminology yet

We have a 15’ by 25’ area for them to free range. It’s not feasible to cover it.

That's similar to my run size. I have a metal roof on mine due to heavy winter snows and summer hawks.

My metal was all salvaged metal bought at an extreme discount over what new costs.

Depending on how many birds you have maybe building them a smaller solid run can be an option. I suggest it since free ranging comes with serious risks. There is likely to come a time you need to lock them up for a few weeks.

How effective the fence is depends on the fence and the predator. In suburbia in North America you can have coyote (you've seen these), fox, raccoon, skunk, probably bobcats and maybe mink. Any of these can hunt during the day but you are at more risk at night. Human activity during the day, even if it is not at your place, tends to keep them away during daytime. Locking them up at night is a good idea.

Your biggest risks are probably a dog or birds of prey. Don't think that one dog is your only dog risk, there are several other dogs around. Over 80% of my losses have been to dogs. The purpose of a fence is not just to keep predators out, it is also to keep your chickens in.

Some dogs can jump pretty well but they are not going to jump if they can't see where they will land. So one option is to build a solid fence high enough they can't stand up on their hind legs and see over it. A tall chain link fence will help a lot. Just with a fence you are not going to provide perfect security. It just doesn't work that way. But a decent fence can make your yard more predator resistant.

Back
Top Bottom