Does Frostbite Spread??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, my duck (who has been inside 2 days now) has a few black patches on her legs. It was below 0 here a couple days ago and I brought her inside the garage. Does frostbite spread and is there anything I can put on it? Thanks.. [​IMG]

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I wish I had an answer for you! My roo got frostbite on his comb and wattles but I vaselined them every day and they seem to be doing better. We'll know better when the temp stays over freezing for a while!

Good luck with you duck - would vaseline help you??

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for the reply, I am going to put some vaseline on her legs. She is going back outside today, but I just never knew if it spreads, gets infected or if there is something special I need to to. They are small patches and it does not affect her walking etc. So I guess I brought her in just in time. She won't go in the coop like the other ducks and she sleeps under the coop. She is somewhat protected from wind but to come out to eat and drink was the problem. Thanks again..
    [​IMG]

4. fornese

fornese Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Vanceboro
    no. frostbite does not spread.

5. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Vaseline should help, might help w/healing but should prevent more from happening.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Frost bite doesn't spread as in more fost bit tissue. However, frost bit tissue has stages of frost bite. At it's worse the tissue becomes necrotic, and this necrossis can get infected and that can spread.

However, you said spots on the legs, doesn't sound like frost bite. Frost bite is usually at tips of extremities and works it's way in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by