1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does having a pea comb on an EE mean blue eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have 5 EE hens with a pea comb, what are the chances of getting a blue egg layer? I've even heard that some people get pink egg layers. I am more excited about getting a blue or pink egg layer than a green egg layer. Any idea what I might get? Some have the beards and muffs and some dont, they are from meyers and mt healthy.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Rose comb or pea comb? EEs more normally have either pea comb or straight comb.

3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    My three easter eggers have pea combs, muffs/beards, and slate legs. You can see an egg from each one in my avator pic.

Edited: Forgot to say that the 3 different eggs are the 3 eggs in the top row on the left side.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  4. hippie

hippie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    N.E. missouri
    i just bought 6 chicks about a week ago and realized that they aren't born with combs. i'm used to my babies hatching with combs already on their heads. when do their combs develop?

5. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

I have an ee bantam that has a pea comb but lays white eggs. [​IMG]

6. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    Thank you so :(much for sharing. My girls are only 7 weeks old so I have a little time to wait until I know what color their eggs will be. It so exciting.

7. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    I thin I started noticing combs on m chicks at 4 weeks old, maybe 3 weeks old.
    Quote:

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    No type of comb had nothing to do with egg color.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have heard that there is a link between the pea comb and the blue eggs, but there are a few breeds that have pea combs and lay white and brown eggs. It is far from a definite science. So the answer would be no, no guarantee at all. The only guarantee you have is it will be a surprise [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The pea comb gene and the blue egg gene are closely located to each other, and are usually inherited together, whichever alleles of each are present in a parent bird.

Let's assume that an EE hen is het for blue egg and for pea comb. That genotype is Oo Pp. She has one blue-egg gene and one not-blue-egg gene, and one pea-comb gene and one not-pea-comb gene.

If the two genes were not closely linked, there would be equal probabilities of her contributing any of the following gene to her progeny:

O P (blue & pea)
    O p (blue & not-pea)
    o P (not-blue, pea)
    o p (not-blue, not-pea)

With linked genes, the more closely located they are on the chromosome, the more closely linked they are. It is still possible for the genes to be inherited separately, but the probability is less. Someone else has done the math based upon the distance these genes are apart and there is a 3% chance than they will be inherited separately. When that occurs, it is called crossover, and getting it to cross back is equally unlikely.

Find and read any poultry genetics book or website and you will find this information.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by