Does it have to be off the ground?

MissPriss13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
My husband and I are going to be building a coop soon. I was looking over some coops and plans and noticed a majority are a foot or two off the ground. Is there a reason for this, does it need/have to be off the ground? What's the purpose in having it off the ground or does it have a purpose? I know there are a lot of questions in this post. Thanks for all the help you guys/gals give. :)

It basically just saves space... gives you extra run area if you're strapped on space for your chickens. It also helps when cleaning if you have a small coop, you don't have to get on your hands and knees. I have both actually. I have a 3ftX10ft coop raised about 3ft off the ground and a 6X8ft walk in coop. Love the walk in!

I'd have to see the coops you're looking at to be sure, but I suspect most of the coops are off the ground to be easier to clean. On mobile coops, like tractors, you can have the roosting poles built into the floor of the coop so the chicken fertilizer goes directly to the ground. Then, you just move the tractor. On smaller stationary coops, you can have the same design and then clean under the roosting area or you might have a raised floor to make it easier to reach in and sweep out. Some of these types of coops have double doors that open up too for cleaning. Larger stationary coops usually don't have raised floors, unless they're built on skids, but may have some other way to deal with the fertilizer, like the deep litter method.

We're wanting to build at least a 10x10 stationary coop. Using old doors and pallet wood. The run will be at least 12x12 and have deep sand with about 6-8 hens. The coop should be fine on the ground, right?

I'd have to see the coops you're looking at to be sure, but I suspect most of the coops are off the ground to be easier to clean. On mobile coops, like tractors, you can have the roosting poles built into the floor of the coop so the chicken fertilizer goes directly to the ground. Then, you just move the tractor. On smaller stationary coops, you can have the same design and then clean under the roosting area or you might have a raised floor to make it easier to reach in and sweep out. Some of these types of coops have double doors that open up too for cleaning. Larger stationary coops usually don't have raised floors, unless they're built on skids, but may have some other way to deal with the fertilizer, like the deep litter method.
Deep litter rocks... yearly clean-out.

I always say anything will be fine at first, especially if you are using what you have. You'll change and adjust as you need to.

Check out the deep litter method if you're going fixed coop.

I haven't used sand before so someone else will have to comment on the sand.

We're wanting to build at least a 10x10 stationary coop. Using old doors and pallet wood. The run will be at least 12x12 and have deep sand with about 6-8 hens. The coop should be fine on the ground, right?
Yes, make it tall enough to walk into. Considerations for on the ground...if the coop has a floor, rodents and other critters might try to live under the floor depending on access. If floor is a foot or so off the ground, less chances of anything living under it. On the other hand, if the chickens can get under there they like the shade and dirt to dust bathe and cool off...but if one gets sick or stuck under there you will need to be able to get under there to retrieve them.

Here is my raised coop before the chickens moved in. There many benefits of of a raised coop. No creatures take residence underneath. Cool spot out of the sun in the summer although my yard is pretty shady. Dry place during rain and a place to hang out during the winter during the snow. The ground beneath the coop doesn't get wet so in winter time they can still take a dust bath. Made mine big enough to stand in, if ever but unlikely to get rid of chickens it can easily convert into a shed. Easy to clean DLM as the floor is the same height as the wheelbarrow, just scoop it right out the door. There are drawbacks but not many. For ME this works, everybody does things differently. Gives them a sense of security from aerial predators even though the run is covered.

Back
Top Bottom