Does it hurt?

How old are your birds - as they get bigger, stronger and bolder the level of "grab and pull" they can execute if they miss the food will increase, so the answer would be "it depends".

No it does not. But I do have one who surprised me with her vigor when she was young…and the name Penny "the pincher" has stuck! Now she's grown and no longer pinches me when she pecks…but cannot change the name, would take a Federal law to change it.

Please try it, you will like it…it is so much fun to offer treats from your hand and they will love you for it. But don't wear a ring or watch, they like to peck those too.

Then start slow. Likely they will be skittish. Get some dried mealy worms, at tractor supply, feed & seed or at a bird seed store. They cannot resist them. Hold some in your hand and let the chickens come to you. If at first they don't come to you, throw some on the ground..if you try daily, bet by the end of the week they will start to trust you. It is so much more fun to get close and personal with them..you'll be so glad you made the attempt. Chickens are very smart and can be trained to do amazing things…to train them to eat out of your hand will be fun and not difficult for them. Let us know how it goes.

But make sure when you are with them to remain calm, talk sweet to them. They will not hurt you!

I have some that are friendlier than others but I have been going out and sitting with them in the evenings. The tamer ones come up and walk around me and the ones that will let me hold them will come right to my hands after they have looked around for something to snack on. I do have benches similar to the wrought iron benches you see in parks and some folding chairs but I have found that the closer to the ground I sit, the more comfortable they are with me. I do refuse to sit on the ground, I would need help to get up. LOL I have some old milk crates and the floor of the coop is about 12 inches above the ground so sometimes I sit there. They seem to like for me to be that close to them.

I have some that are friendlier than others but I have been going out and sitting with them in the evenings. The tamer ones come up and walk around me and the ones that will let me hold them will come right to my hands after they have looked around for something to snack on. I do have benches similar to the wrought iron benches you see in parks and some folding chairs but I have found that the closer to the ground I sit, the more comfortable they are with me. I do refuse to sit on the ground, I would need help to get up. LOL I have some old milk crates and the floor of the coop is about 12 inches above the ground so sometimes I sit there. They seem to like for me to be that close to them.

Mine are friendly and tame, but have had them since they were 3 days old. They are interested in the human no matter what if you hold the treats. But if you get down to their level they are more relaxed, get closer with no treats offered. I did sit on the sand a few times but much prefer to sit on an upside down bucket.

They have instincts of fear from the skies and that's why I think they prefer to be with us if we are on their level.

Mine are friendly and tame, but have had them since they were 3 days old. They are interested in the human no matter what if you hold the treats. But if you get down to their level they are more relaxed, get closer with no treats offered. I did sit on the sand a few times but much prefer to sit on an upside down bucket.

They have instincts of fear from the skies and that's why I think they prefer to be with us if we are on their level.
This is so true. I find that when I wear a skirt out by the run, they act like I am a flying predator coming at them. I have had my adults since they were 3 days old and the rest right from the incubator but they all seem to act the same at given ages.

Back
Top Bottom