Does it make any sense that my thyroid meds are MORE expensive

Quote:
I'd have asked at the pharmacy before I even paid.

Wouldnt make a difference really.. i'd still have to pay the insurance price because i need the stinkin' meds or my thyroid goes all wonky.
hmm.png

The pharmacy told DH that if we have insurance they HAVE to run it through.
hu.gif

I shouldnt complain, my meds are pretty cheap anyways...
Its just the fact that they are more expensive WITH insurance that irks me...
lol.png

Quote:

Wouldnt make a difference really.. i'd still have to pay the insurance price because i need the stinkin' meds or my thyroid goes all wonky.
hmm.png

hu.gif

Red next time you need it get the dr to rewrite the scrip, take it to another pharmacy and tell them you don't have insurance. Many doctors will be fine with writing the scrip to make it more affordable for you the patient to get the needed medication.

Quote:

hmm.png

hu.gif

Depending on the terms of the pharmacy's contract with your carrier, this can indeed be the case. In such situations, if we don't bill we can be nailed to the wall for it by both the insurer and our corporate higher-ups. It does occasionally happen that a copayment can be more than our cash price, as contract pricing can be an arcane matter. As we really aren't completely evil and heartless, those of us working on the front lines do think that sucks for our patients, but we can't disobey our corporate masters or our third-party masters without repercussions. Audits, fines, corporate visits, writeups, and even terminations in really extreme cases - fun fun fun!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Yep! I have a low thyroid and found out that my meds are CHEAPER without paying though my insurance than when I pay with my insurance! Crazy, right??? And most antibiotics are cheaper as well when you don't use your insurance!!! Go figure!!!
roll.png

alot of pharmacies have a 4.00 list walmart,kroger,food city. You can get a list online with almost any pharmacy. I do use 2 different one's for just that reason because sometimes the rx are more expensive with insurance than without. Yeah I know I shouldn't do that but my insurance isn't all that good either. Only 1 paycheck right now I have a really tight budget.

Quote:
So true, they kept asking for bank info for auto deduct. I just laughed, no way.
I also thought the operator sounded very demeaning, but choose to ignore it.
I avoided signing up with the mail order for years, but they stopped paying for as much at the retail pharmacy. It will save me about 30%.
This mornings conversations have me a bit worried, so I'll stash a few pills.
hmm.png

redhen wrote

They probably know you as Imp there too....

Well they don't know my name
gig.gif

ETA- btw it is Medco​

We use Medco and if there isn't money in account they send the meds with a bill.

Also, I take two different thyroid pills and if I didn't use mail order, which is cheaper, it would be cheaper to fill at Coscto and not bill insurance. Ask your doc for the handwritten script and ask different pharmacies for the cash price, I'll bet it's cheaper then your copmt for a month.

You have a set price for copayment no matter how much the drug cost. I think Synthroid is $6 for 30 days or $10 copayment. I think mail-order is $20 for 90 count so I only save $4 and the trip to the pharmacy......and remembering to refill....

I have insurance, and get most of my meds at Costco. They are good to me. If the RX is less without going thru insurance, then that's the way they bill it, I pay less.
Maybe it varies state to state?

Quote:
I had the same problem, paying $10 for a $4 RX. I found out that if you don't tell Walmart to give you the $4 RX, they will automatically go through your insurance and charge you whatever your co-pay is. Tricky little buggers.

Also, there is needymeds.com. Some drug companies offer discount cards, like Lipator has a $4 RX card.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom