Does it matter what kind of drake I add to my flock?

chicken mother

Songster
Mar 16, 2019
I have 4 welsh harlequin hens and 2 silver appleyard hens. I want a drake for the purpose of fertilizing eggs. I was worried about the sizing of the ducks. Is it hazardous to my ducks if I get a heavy breed? And if I get a light breed, will it be able to fertilize the silver appleyards? Would an indian runner work? Or a cayuga? I don’t have any medium breeds available in my area, but I could maybe wait for one to be available. I’d prefer a drake thats a different color from my ducks, but at the end of the day I mostly just want the eggs fertilized.

If your Welsh Harlequins are silvers (most are) and you get a brown drake like a Khaki Campbell or a chocolate or fawn/white runner, your ducklings will be sex linked. Girl ducklings will be brownish. Boy ducklings will be blackish. My current drake is 1/2 Appleyard and 1/2 Khaki, this is him.
1714721C-780D-476D-BDE7-8FC7A0C0274E.jpeg

FYI, as beautiful as a Cayuga drake is he would produce all black ducklings with those hens if you were looking for variety.

If your Welsh Harlequins are silvers (most are) and you get a brown drake like a Khaki Campbell or a chocolate or fawn/white runner, your ducklings will be sex linked. Girl ducklings will be brownish. Boy ducklings will be blackish. My current drake is 1/2 Appleyard and 1/2 Khaki, this is him.
View attachment 2750198
FYI, as beautiful as a Cayuga drake is he would produce all black ducklings with those hens if you were looking for variety.
ohh thats cool! i think i’ll wait til i find a khaki campbell, then. thank you! and you’ve got some pretty ducks :)

My Drake that fertilized all of my Rouen Hen's eggs was a Mallard that was a lot smaller. He managed to mate all five of the hens I had, both Rouen and Mallard with no problems at all and on dry land with no pool available to them. A smaller Drake is your best bet for your hens I feel and mine had no problem at all with any of my Hens.

If you want girls that lay well, a layer breed drake would be best. If you want meat ducks, a male Pekin would give you big boys! Those breeds are pretty large, and would be fine with a Pekin drake, I would expect.

I have 4 welsh harlequin hens and 2 silver appleyard hens. I want a drake for the purpose of fertilizing eggs. I was worried about the sizing of the ducks. Is it hazardous to my ducks if I get a heavy breed? And if I get a light breed, will it be able to fertilize the silver appleyards? Would an indian runner work? Or a cayuga? I don’t have any medium breeds available in my area, but I could maybe wait for one to be available. I’d prefer a drake thats a different color from my ducks, but at the end of the day I mostly just want the eggs fertilized.
I have black swedish, cayuga mix (this i know because eggs are tan not black tint) and Buff Orpingtons ducks. My drake is a buff...you can see the mix in the photo and they too are sex-linked

Attachments

• 20210626_084311.jpg
    20210626_084311.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 27
View attachment 2750198
Also, in my experience, Cayugas are VERY horny. He will be really productive in the fertilizing aspect, but the problem is it may be a little TOO productive!

My fawn/white runner male is a nice size for my varied flock and only has issues reaching my gigantic pekin ladies. But he doesn't seem to be too big for my smaller ladies. I have 3 drakes and recently hatched 6/10 duck eggs. At least 4 of the 6 hatched are likely his offspring as they clearly have the runner stance and similar coloring so far. He certainly had no issues getting the deed done LOL.

Back
Top Bottom