Does it really matter where they sleep?

baysidechicks

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
New chicken mom here...flock of four hens, two Polish crested one red sex link, one silver Lakenvelder. They're about 3.5 months old and moved into their spacious combo coop/run about 3 weeks ago. The "coop" part is actually open entirely to the run because I'm in S Fla and worry more about too much heat than keeping them warm, and the whole thing is predator proof. So I have a roost set up for them up in the coop part, a nice ramp going up there, their food and water is under the coop part (it's raised 4') and the whole run is 7' high so I can walk in and take care of them. They had a small roost crossing one of the corners that they crowded onto every night, then I took it away to try and encourage them to sleep on the roost in the coop part, and they just fuss every night, and end up perched on the edge of that coop floor rather than up on the roost. Today I put a chicken ladder (2X4s), a chicken swing and a long slack line for them to play on in the run. Does it really matter if they choose to sleep out in the run rather than in the "coop" area?

IMG_3459 (1).jpg
IMG_3463.jpg
IMG_3462.jpg

That is adorable. I can tell you had fun building it. I don't think it matters where they roost - you said it's all predator proof. It's all like one big space anyway - they may decide to roost way up high in the coop at a later time. Maybe its breezier and cooler at night out in the run.

the HW cloth extends down into the ground, it's very sturdily attached, and I have a chain link fence around my property to deter dogs other than my own. I know there are raccoons everywhere, but my three dogs do a good job keeping them out. I think the chickens did like it better out in the open because of the relative coolness. Tonight I watched them squabble around and they ended up on the roost after all.

Thank you for your kind words, I did have fun building it!

They had a small roost crossing one of the corners that they crowded onto every night, then I took it away to try and encourage them to sleep on the roost in the coop part, and they just fuss every night, and end up perched on the edge of that coop floor rather than up on the roost.
Give them time to get used to the new arrangements.
Go out well after dark and put them where you want them.

As others have said, if the coop/run is totally predator-proof, they'll sort themselves out and find the most comfortable space. As they get older/larger, their roost location may change, too.

A suggestion, if you will: Not sure I'd use the hardware cloth on their ramp. I'd be too worried that a toenail could easily get caught. Perhaps remove the hardware cloth and add additional, lower-profile 'rungs' on the ramp in between the existing branches you have there. Your setup looks nice and cool....

Back
Top Bottom