Does it really matter where they sleep?

Texsuze, I followed another recommendation to put the hardware cloth on the ramp, and I made extra sure that everything is banged down flush with the ramp so it won't catch their tootsies. I watch them all the the time - the coop is visible from my kitchen, living room, dining room, bedroom, and porch - and they seem to be navigating it very well now.

Unrelated to your question, but the excess rope on the swing there, I'd cut it and remove it. As unlikely as it seems, I could see it somehow getting knocked loose, a chicken getting tangled in it, and killing themselves trying to get free.
I'm also a sailor and it hurts my heart to cut that line (rope) because the swing might not stay and it's good line...but I agree and will go out there and cut it. Now that I've seen one of them on it, I have hopes it will get used and am more willing to sacrifice that permanently.

New chicken mom here...flock of four hens, two Polish crested one red sex link, one silver Lakenvelder. They're about 3.5 months old and moved into their spacious combo coop/run about 3 weeks ago. The "coop" part is actually open entirely to the run because I'm in S Fla and worry more about too much heat than keeping them warm, and the whole thing is predator proof. So I have a roost set up for them up in the coop part, a nice ramp going up there, their food and water is under the coop part (it's raised 4') and the whole run is 7' high so I can walk in and take care of them. They had a small roost crossing one of the corners that they crowded onto every night, then I took it away to try and encourage them to sleep on the roost in the coop part, and they just fuss every night, and end up perched on the edge of that coop floor rather than up on the roost. Today I put a chicken ladder (2X4s), a chicken swing and a long slack line for them to play on in the run. Does it really matter if they choose to sleep out in the run rather than in the "coop" area?

I am a new chicken mom too, but mine are a little older. Should start laying in about a month. Mine all hung out together inside the coop...eventually...but just sat on the ground. So did all of the other hens that were months older and were given to me. All of a sudden the other week, they were all up in the roosts. I think it is instinctual and something finally just seemed to click with mine.

New chicken mom here...flock of four hens, two Polish crested one red sex link, one silver Lakenvelder. They're about 3.5 months old and moved into their spacious combo coop/run about 3 weeks ago. The "coop" part is actually open entirely to the run because I'm in S Fla and worry more about too much heat than keeping them warm, and the whole thing is predator proof. So I have a roost set up for them up in the coop part, a nice ramp going up there, their food and water is under the coop part (it's raised 4') and the whole run is 7' high so I can walk in and take care of them. They had a small roost crossing one of the corners that they crowded onto every night, then I took it away to try and encourage them to sleep on the roost in the coop part, and they just fuss every night, and end up perched on the edge of that coop floor rather than up on the roost. Today I put a chicken ladder (2X4s), a chicken swing and a long slack line for them to play on in the run. Does it really matter if they choose to sleep out in the run rather than in the "coop" area?
If other creators can’t get to your chickens then they should be safe they seem to be very happy with you enjoy them and you will find yourself laughing a lot

Was thinking the same....use a different rope.

If you really want to spare your line, chain would be the safest option I think simply because it can't fray and get swallowed. My swing (that barely gets used) has chain. Might be a tiny possibility of it getting caught on some feathers if a chicken were to rub against it but they'll survive losing a couple of feathers.

ok, it does matter where they sleep. The run part is only half roofed, and the higher perches (i put a ladder thing and a cross bar back up) are in the unroofed part. It rained hard this morning before dawn. It looked a lot funnier in person, the photo never does Roxanne justice, although I think she's fabulous wet or dry! I have now put all perchy things on that side lower than their coop perch that is in the roofed area.
IMG_3561.jpg

Back
Top Bottom