Does lack of Vitamin D Cause Soft-shelled eggs?

PollyWaddle

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Eugene, OR
I live in Oregon, and we've had a VERY long spell without sun (changing tomorrow, though). Do chickens take Vit D in from the sun? If they do, and it's not sunny, would that cause reduced calcium uptake (they have many sources of such: pellets, oyster shell, egg shells, greens), which would result in soft shelled eggs? I have a HUGE problem with it right now. Anybody else live around here having soft-shelled egg issues?

Very interesting theory. Yes, chickens produce Vit D through their feathers and dogs through their fur. Did your flock have strong shells before and now soft? I have 1 RIR that always lays soft shell eggs - I guess that's just how she is.

Yep, it just really got worse. I've had a few that have always had thinner shells, but always older gals. Now, all of a sudden, the young ones are laying thin/soft shelled, too. And thanks, good to know they take in Vit D through their feathers. I suspected they did it somehow....

Yes. I've had one hen with soft and thin shells on and off, for months and a couple others who slowed way down. I think our extended March-like weather, with the low light conditions, has depleted some of their resources.

You can give a little Cod Liver Oil (CLO) mixed into a treat to give them a dose of vitamin D right now. I've been drizzling a tiny bit of CLO over a treat, once per week, to help my flock of five.

Back
Top Bottom