Does lighting help prevent predator attacks?

Thanks for the stories guys. So far I haven't seen another fox since 2 days ago. But I sure know they are out there. Am I seeing them more because it's winter? Because in the summer time I never see them. I live in Florida so it's hot all year round. The coldest we've gotten this year is only 42 degrees and that doesn't last past 9:00 AM. So is food still scarce for them at this time of year? Even here in Florida?

The fox will have a route it takes each day that may go through multiple square miles. Route will hit locations fox has learned can provide eats and will also involve stops for scent marking. Additionally the smell the Red Fox produces I think helps the fox and its mate no how recently as given location has been checked.

I find urban foxes are out all day. Lost a hen at 2pm a year or so ago. Now we have electric fencing, which at least seems to help deter the fox. Not sure if they are clever enough to remember the first shock they get?

If it's enough current to kill `em? Yeah, that would prevent the subsequent worrying at and seeking purchase while avoiding the the source of the initial "discomfort". That you haven't lost any since installing the electric is pretty telling, however. If there has been no evidence of attempts at digging, etc. then I'd take it that they're clever enough to avoid the barrier itself (have yet to run into a "clever" or "sly" Red Fox - one's here are nothing, if not brazen - and persistent).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom