Does loud talk radio scare away Bobcats?

desilvam

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
My house is in a city neighborhood. Beyond our backyard fence (5 ft chain link) is a creek which comes down from the hills about 1/2 a mile away. So, we get foxes, bobcats etc.. I have 3 pet chickens. One was attacked twice by a bobcat during the day around 1 PM, within the last year. Both times I was nearby in the house and scared the bobcat away. She was injured both times but survived both attacks. I have a 250 sq ft run and attached enclosure for the chickens, but they love to free range in our backyard. The bobcats come in to visit about once a month, but the chickens have been in their enclosure.

Recently, I have started letting the chickens free range with a solar radio tuned to a talk radio station. Would this scare the Bobcat away? or would it come up from the creek to investigate?

It would scare me away! LOL! I don't know about the bobcats, but since you know they are there, I probably wouldn't let the birds free range without supervision. Mine don't free range at all because I don't want to lose them. But they have a pretty big pen.

My house is in a city neighborhood. Beyond our backyard fence (5 ft chain link) is a creek which comes down from the hills about 1/2 a mile away. So, we get foxes, bobcats etc.. I have 3 pet chickens. One was attacked twice by a bobcat during the day around 1 PM, within the last year. Both times I was nearby in the house and scared the bobcat away. She was injured both times but survived both attacks. I have a 250 sq ft run and attached enclosure for the chickens, but they love to free range in our backyard. The bobcats come in to visit about once a month, but the chickens have been in their enclosure.

Recently, I have started letting the chickens free range with a solar radio tuned to a talk radio station. Would this scare the Bobcat away? or would it come up from the creek to investigate?
City cats city noises, they are use to them , don't let it give you a false sense of security just cause you don't see them, they are very patient critters and will wait in the brush for hours for their meal to walk by.

You want to keep a predators away you need a predator to do that like a dog and even then a bob may still snatch one if they know the dog is not in the area.

You have a very nice size run just for 3 hens , i would only let them out when you are outside with them cause you already know the cat will come even with your sent in the air.

Good luck.

If you are going to give them a buffet you should probably at least provide some soothing music to aid in digestion. If you haven't learned with 2 previous attacks it's likely a waste of time to give any further advice than that. Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom