Does Mating Season Ever End????

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
My Rouen drake is almost in full eclipse plumage but he still is chasing my poor ducks around to mate and I think they are finally getting sick of it. Even his partner is shoving him off. One of our poor mallards seems to be a favourite and the back of her head is almost bald. Does it ever stop? Can I give him some estrogen or something?
big_smile.png
I think my poor little Josephine needs a hoody.

Seriously tho, does mating season ever end?

Thanks

Male ducks are the worse.....I put mine up .I only got 1 male and 6 hens.
I put him in w/the turkeys {i got a xlg pen.} Gee they get sick of being hounded
all the time..
th.gif

We are in the middle of introducing 2 more ducks. I hope 2 extra girls will take some of the pressure off Josephine. The other 3 ducks just poke him off most of the time. It'll be 1 drake/6 ducks by the time full-on mating season hits again.

His name is Victor - we should have called him Charlie......

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure ducks are like chickens, and it really doesn't matter to them if its the "off" season, they are gonna go for it! Our rouen drake even tries to jump the guineas!

Last edited:
I have a six month old male Pekin in the house. He is inside 24/7 and wears diapers. He jumps eveyone; dog, cat, myself, and my boyfriend. He will grab your feet before you know it. I just got a Muscovy about 3 wks ago. Kind of hope it's a girl. It'd be nice if he had a girlfriend and I really don't want two boys coming after me! I would guess that it will continue year round. He seems to be more jumpy in the evenings. My boyfriend laughs at me cause when I push him away I always say " I'm not your girlfriend I'm your Mom"
lol.png

So are rouens like overly agressive or something? Cause right now I have a rouen a khaki and a call drakes, and I have a rouen, a ancona and a call hens will they hurt the girls? Im very worried!

I have two mixed rouen drakes and one pekin. The two rouen refuse to go in the pen anymore with the pekin drake and the hens. And now when the hens and pekin drake come out the rouens chase them back in. I have got to get them all back together again, lol. Anyway, my rouens don't seem to be all that aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom