Does metzer sell quality pilgrim geese?

la dee da

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Missouri
Hello everyone!

I'm seriously considering getting a few pairs of pilgrim geese this year or next (probably next), but it's really hard to find them without having to buy hatching eggs, and since I have no way of hatching eggs, that's not an option. I've read that Metzer has purchased Holderread's stock, so I was wondering if Metzer is "the place" to get this breed. I know normally a hatchery isn't the way to go if I want quality stock for breeding, but does that rule change when the hatchery buys good quality stock from someone?

I'm not going to really answer your question either, but I have two pairs of pilgrims from Metzers. I can't say if they are quality specimens according to breed standard, but I will say that I am impressed with the overall quality of the goslings I got. They shipped all the way to NH, and arrived fat, happy, and perky. They must have enjoyed their grow gel during their cross country flight, because they weren't even thirsty when I unpacked them. They are currently growing like weeds, and eating weeds too! The buff goslings I got in the same order are just as vigorous and healthy.

That said, I have heard from a couple different blogs that metzer is a good place to acquire pilgrim breeding stock.

My fuzz balls

Last edited:
I order from Murry McMurry and they always ship perfect birds! I've been a customer for many, many years.

Thanks for responding, guys! It's nice to know that even if Metzer doesn't have breed standard quality, their birds are at least decent enough to get me started!

With the influx of Holderreads bloodlines, there pilgrims will continue to get better. They are pretty good anyway. I live 40 miles from them. They are great people.

I found Metzers customer service horrendous when our goslings arrived dead. They were shipped with in the state even. Jon was very uncaring, cold and rude. I had been hearing they went downhill and their quality of birds had dropped but I decided to order anyhow, big mistake...

Back
Top Bottom