Does molting effect egg quality?

equinelyn

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Southern York County
Two of our 10 chickens are Red sex-link hens about 2 years old. We believe they just molted this late winter, and they have been laying for about 2 months. At first we only saw about an egg a day or every other day. Now I see about 2 eggs a day from them, but one of my hens keeps laying very thin eggs, so thin that I find it split open and the yolk spills on all the other eggs. The other egg isn't quite normal looking either, sometimes it's more oval, had a double yolker yesterday, and I saw an egg that looked like the shell had ripples on the one end (like making a sloppy soft serve ice cream cone).

What should I do? Will the eggs straighten themselves out? Or should I give them calcium like Oyster Shells? I already gave them all my other hens crumbled eggs shells(so they could get the calcium from the younger hens) But I haven't seen much difference.

Quote:
The thin shell problem might be fixed by adding more calcium to their diet.
hu.gif
thats just what ive heard. And Ive heard that laying hens should have lots of calcium anyway:idunno

I am also venturing into the "middle" age with some of my flock. I have two birds of the age of 2+.

The Leghorn resumed laying after molting. Her eggs are smaller and slower rate, but the eggs are still good.

The Production Red (hybrid for egg production) is having serious issues. She lays infrequently. The color is now pale beige rather than brown. The shells are thin. Softcells are common.

The local farmer said they rotate out after 1 year because of production issues.

Quote:
Mine with the problem are production reds too!! And the eggs are pale beige as well! They also seem kinda chalky in texture, and too thin of egg content on one end and the other is rippled with access egg content...

can anyone help with any facts about molting?i have two leghorn chickens and they appeare to be molting...but its july,not sure this is normal (from what ive read) ive had them just over two weeks and them seem really happy (i had an egg on the 1st day) i normally get an egg a day,now im getting one every other.any suggestions??
smile.png

Penny11, they are probably going through a "stress molt." It can happen when they are moved, or extra hot, etc. They will stop laying as much during a molt, and will stop laying due to stress. Good luck!

Are you in SC? My guess is that the heat is wreaking havoc with you two older birds! We lived in SC York county until a few months ago and I found that particularly the older birds have a hard time of it in the very hot weather. The more a bird has to pant the less calcium is available for the egg shell production. And the older they are the less 'stores' they have available. I would offer oystershell - as much as they want. I have also noticed that the hens eat a lot more during the hot months. THe calcium from other eggshells is not concentrated enough to provide what they need especially during the hot months. Do they also have plenty shade. Make sure they have plenty of cool water and maybe a fan as well, the less heat stress the better their shells are going to be is my guess! Good luck figuring these ladies issues out.

Edited to add: molting can affect the egg quality for a short while once they resume production. But I think it is more likely the heat that is messing with your girls...

Last edited:
I am in PA. It hasn't been too hot, around the 80's. But the heat is coming our way it will reach 100 in the next 5 days. I found a normal egg today. It's a big sucker, but normal color and shape. fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom