Does my chicken have sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GardenChickens, Dec 26, 2015.

1. GardenChickens

GardenChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2015
    Hello
    So for about a week now my chicken has been very lethargic and droopy, we took her to the vet and he gave her some antibiotics which are not helping. I noticed this morning that her crop did not empty, it is the size of a plum and extremely dough and holds it shape when you knead it. However$, her breath is not smelly. She is eating mainly grass and is drinking a little. Her faeces are extremely watery. The vet did a faeces test and no traces of worms were found. I am extremely confused, what does she have and how can I treat it?
    Thank you!

2. GardenChickens

May 9, 2015
    Please help I don't think she is going to hold out much longer!

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her back to the vet?

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  4. GardenChickens

May 9, 2015

Not until Monday...and to be honest he doesn't know what's wrong with with her either. Should I continue to give her the antibiotics?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Keep giving the antibiotics. How much water is she drinking? Do you want to learn how to tube feed? Can you post a picture of her poop? What antibiotics are you giving?

-Kathy

6. GardenChickens

May 9, 2015
    [​IMG]Here is a picture of her poop, it is often more watery than this, she is drinking a lot at the moment, I read this might be because she is trying to flush food in her crop through. What confuses me though is that she has had this for about a week and she has al the symptoms of impacted crop but after a week it must now be sour but I can't smell anything?!? I'm not quite sure what the antibiotic is called(ì know...sorry :/) the vet told me though that it is very commonly used for treating chickens.
    Thank you very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by