does my chickwn have feather mites

AceSierra

Songster
Jun 2, 2020
I took my 8 day old silkie chick to the vet because she kept shaking her head and he said she had feather mites. so I got some permectrin II and sprayed my 2 yr old austrolorp cuz I assumed she was the one who gave her feather mites but then I started thinking what is the austrolorp never had mites and it's just the baby so are these feather mites on my chciken because her flight feathers and some other feathers have been looking gross and tattered now for a while but I just assumed it was because I cut her flight feathers. her poop has also been very gross and liquidy even tho shes almost always inside and never goes out on super hot days. I havent sprayed the chick yet because I'm bot sure if it's safe to use on chicks. The austrolorp also sleeps in the bed at night so it's important that I get these mites treated the baby doesnt becauee shes too young. also she might be loosing feathers underneath her belly idk if theres just suppost to be less feather there or if its normal Screenshot_20200612-112503_Snapchat.jpg

Attachments

• 20200611_125533.jpg
    20200611_125533.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20200604-174808_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200604-174808_Gallery.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 12
I took my 8 day old silkie chick to the vet because she kept shaking her head and he said she had feather mites. so I got some permectrin II and sprayed my 2 yr old austrolorp cuz I assumed she was the one who gave her feather mites but then I started thinking what is the austrolorp never had mites and it's just the baby so are these feather mites on my chciken because her flight feathers and some other feathers have been looking gross and tattered now for a while but I just assumed it was because I cut her flight feathers. her poop has also been very gross and liquidy even tho shes almost always inside and never goes out on super hot days. I havent sprayed the chick yet because I'm bot sure if it's safe to use on chicks. The austrolorp also sleeps in the bed at night so it's important that I get these mites treated the baby doesnt becauee shes too young. also she might be loosing feathers underneath her belly idk if theres just suppost to be less feather there or if its normalView attachment 2190778
Either its feather mites or shes molting..

Did the vet see mites on the chick? The vet would be the best to know if there were mites, since they can look at a feather under a microscope. Have you seen mites or mite droppings on your chickens before? I would not spray a baby chick, but you need to treat for them if you see them. Dust might be a little better on a chick, but they are pretty delicate.

Could the chick just be shaking her head? Chicks do that often for no reason. Get out your magnifier and start looking.

Did the vet see mites on the chick? The vet would be the best to know if there were mites, since they can look at a feather under a microscope. Have you seen mites or mite droppings on your chickens before? I would not spray a baby chick, but you need to treat for them if you see them. Dust might be a little better on a chick, but they are pretty delicate.

Could the chick just be shaking her head? Chicks do that often for no reason. Get out your magnifier and start looking.
he said he didnt find any mites but he found there poop and said it was feather mites but he didnt look at ace for mites. what should I look for like what do they look like

Back
Top Bottom