Does my coop need a floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by xapikleia, Feb 1, 2009.

1. xapikleia

xapikleia In the Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    So Cal Suburbs
    Sorry for asking ten thousand questions today! I still feel soooo lost with all of this.

My coop is on the ground; do I need to have an official floor, or can it just be the earth?

2. moduckman

moduckman Songster

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Mine has a dirt floor, less stuff for mice to hide in. I do keep bedding down for easier poo cleanup.

3. TXmom

TXmom Songster

I'm in the process of building my coop and we'll just have an earth floor...we'll be using the deep-litter method which starts the composting process while still in the coop. There are some good threads about that if you do a search. I think some people use a bare dirt floor and don't use litter at all.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine has a floor with linoleum.

That way I can sweep and mop it every week.

My run is a mess though and boys today were saying it's time to rake it out and put in some sand.

Deep litter method works, but it can get stinky and it's a mess to clean up, when it comes time.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Mine sets right one the ground. There is a 2ft skirt of wire all the way around to prevent burrowing animals from getting in. I cover it with pine bedding which I shovel out twice a year.

6. clayhill

clayhill Songster

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    Dirt floors are ok if nothing can dig in under the coop. I have a concrete floor and love it, but growing up we had a dirt floor. To tell the truth, we didn't even have a door that closed. I only remember losing 1 hen and that was lost to our own hound!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by