Does my flock have Mycoplasma gallisepticum?

Hensinarow

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Hello there!

Help! In the span of 10-days, 3 of our 15 flock members have possible eye infection/ disease.

We are new to backyard and free-range chickens. We have 15 hens that are almost 4-months old. Their breeds are Sapphire Gems (5), Red Ranger (5), and Ameraucana/Easter Egger (5). 9 days ago, our lead Sapphire Gem looked like she got punched or stung in the right eye and the lids were swollen in a poofy circle all around. She was acting normal, eating, etc.

We thought it could have been pecking/ bee sting/ or eye infection. We isolated her for 1 day and 1 night before releasing her back to her flock because we felt bad and believe in their social structure and it was healthier and more humane for her to be free-ranging with the others, rather than stuck in a tiny coop covered in her own poop with no exercise. Of course, we understood that whatever she might have, it could certainly spread to the entire flock. We decided to take that risk as first-timers.

During the course of her short isolation, we noticed that one of our leading Ameriaucanas had an eye problem, only it looked different than than the poofy eye. It looked like a worm or something but nothing squeezed out of it when we tried. Her eyelid was yellow, and her beak/comb were both very pale. She was acting normal other than for the course of many weeks so far, she usually straightens her neck and opens her mouth (perhaps breathes a little through the mouth). I figured this is from her dusty chick life as well as small stress triggers, like nearby mowing of the lawn, shifting to different homes/coops, and lots of helicopters low in the sky. We didn't think too much about it because overall she seemed fine. I alwasys leaned towards the Some small bubbles were in the corner of her eye. She did not have the same swollen-ness as the first. Her nostrils were not leaking, and she was not coughing or sneezing. She loves protein so we call her the protein master and we give a lot of grubs as treats to the flock. Here is a pic of her eye:

We used Vetercyn spray on both hens to saturate their eyes (3x per day for 2 days) and it appeared to work well, other than the occasional yellow or paleness. The small bubbles went away in the Ameraucana (there were none in the Sapphire Gem's eye) and neither of the hens' symptoms have worsened, but the poofyness and lazy-looking eye is still present. All the chickens stayed together knowing that we are risking it. They all free-range in plenty of space in woodlands and lawns from 7am-7pm.

Now, 10-days later we are noticing a few more of our chickens with one poofy and swollen eyelid/eye area! One of our Red Ranger hens developed it, this time on her left eye (the others were on the right eye). The Red Ranger doesn't seem like herself, but at this point I quite honestly may be overthinking it! We also used Vetercyn spray (only once so far, will aim for a few more sprays)... She's walking kinda slow with occasional leg up and staying away from the flock (as compared to how they all normally hang together). I think she stays behind maybe she's lethargic, but maybe I'm overthinking them. She actually moved a lot better after drinking from our water concoction: Silver Collidal, Oregano oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic cloves. We don't want to use antibiotics.

Here are the pics of our unwell hens:

1) Sapphire Gem

Sapp.jpg

2) Ameraucana (hard to see the"worm-like" thing on the bottom of her eyelid, hopefully because the Vetercyn worked well!

Ameraucana.jpg

3) Red Ranger (sick today and we are concerned)

RedRanger2.jpg

If there's anything more we can do, or if there's an answer to what they have, that would be helpful. Does this always happen with chickens??

Thanks for the help,
Victoria & Lukas

The droopy eye on your Red Ranger is a dead giveaway for Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG).
You are correct that it's MG and it's spreading through your flock.
Your concoction of organics nor antibiotics will treat nor cure MG. Birds that survive the disease are carriers for life and will spread the disease to other birds.
You must maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out. Do not sell nor give eggs away to be hatched. The disease can be passed through eggs.
Your other option is to cull the flock. Then disinfect waterers, feeders, inside the coop, including nest boxes and roosts and so on.
MG only lasts in the environment for 3 days. But I'd give it a couple of weeks before repopulating.
It's best to order chicks from hatcheries and start raising birds in that manner. Reputable feed stores sell chicks from hatcheries as well, ask before you buy.
It's not a good idea to acquire birds from Craigslist, farmer down the road, unscrupulous breeders etc...you dont know what you're getting healthwise.

Back
Top Bottom