Does my metal coop have enough ventilation?

Thrashergreg

Hatching
Nov 29, 2020
Hey everyone!
I am fairly new to owning chickens. I currently have a metal 8x6 shed from my property as a coop. Right now I have both front doors removed and use that front wall as ventilation.the vent is roughly 4x4. Durring colder nights I cover half of the opening with a wool blanket to break the wind trying to enter the coop. I live in Texas, so durring the past summer I left it open all of the time. My chickens free range durring the day. Is this enough proper ventilation for my chickens?

Hey everyone!
I am fairly new to owning chickens. I currently have a metal 8x6 shed from my property as a coop. Right now I have both front doors removed and use that front wall as ventilation.the vent is roughly 4x4. Durring colder nights I cover half of the opening with a wool blanket to break the wind trying to enter the coop. I live in Texas, so durring the past summer I left it open all of the time. My chickens free range durring the day. Is this enough proper ventilation for my chickens?
It helps to post pics.

Yes, pics please.
It sounds like the square foot amount of ventilation is good in general, but where the ventilation is makes a big difference. You don't want drafts blowing by the chickens when they're roosting, so ventilation should be higher up than the roosts. You also want more than one vent opening, so the air comes in one way and goes out another.

It helps to post pics.
Her we are a few pictures i took this morning. Their roost is pretty high it is about 2 1/2
20201130_074955.jpg
20201130_075056.jpg
feet off of the ground

Is it possible to take the metal out of the gable triangles and replace it with hardware cloth?

That would allow for cross-ventilation at the roof peak where it would do the most good.
I don't think so, it seems to be welded to the body of the shed. But I could possible cut holes there. The back of the shed is about a foot away from the back of my house.

In Texas, a huge wire box is great... seriously.

Your coop doesn't look very predator proof, and I know there are lots of predators in Texas. :oops:

My baby sis (in Texas) has a coop where the front wall is solid wire, and the other three walls are half wire (top half wire, bottom half solid). So YES, the wind blows over the perches.

If it gets to really blowing, the chickens get off the perches and stay on the floor. However, she has crazy big eves, and has the coop in a sheltered location, so that doesn't happen too much.

My Texas grandmother had a similar coop. But her top wire walls had plywood covers that she could close in huge storms. Her front solid wire wall was never closed up,but was sheltered by a 5 foot eve/porch area.

Both my grandmother and baby sis lived/live in the hill country, so snow on occasion.

My point... I don't think you need to cover anything with that blanket.

Your front wire wall is excellent, but you might need more ventilation come summer. A second roof a few feet above the coop might work too, to help keep it cool.

Back
Top Bottom