Does MY PET CHICKEN use "packing peanut" chickens

Hello J. Smitty
smile.png
I'm in MA, too.
Welcome to chicken world!!

I thought about getting my chick from MPC, but I bought from feed store.

They have it right in their help pages - they'll never send "packing peanuts" (which are always spare roosters). Packing peanuts are usually a bunch of extra chicks added for warmth. Instead, they use a heat pack in the box to keep the chicks warm.

If you get an extra chick with your order, they say it will be the same sex and breed as something you've already ordered. So if you ordered only sexed females, your extra should be a sexed female as well.

Quote:
Don't care what it says. I ordered 25 and got 26.

I know others got the same deal so hopefully they'll say so.

Have no reason to lie about 1 chick!

Didn't get a heat pack either!

If you get an extra chick in your order from my pet chicken it is by accident. they never send extras on purpose. I received 15 from them. they shipped on a monday and I had them on Tue Morning. I'm in PA though so It's right next to OH. From what I've heard most of their chicks arrive tue or wed.

I ordered 5 from MPC. I got 5 shipped to me, happy and healthy, with a heating pack. Took 1 day to get from Ohio to California.

I think if you order a small amount, MPC uses the heat pack so they don't need to add "packing peanuts". If you place a larger order of chicks, they don't need to use the heat pad for shipping, since the 25 chicks are keeping each other warm. I think that one that was added was maybe not a "packing peanut" meant for warmth in shipping but probably a free gift for your large order??? Was it the same gender as the chicks you ordered or did you order all pullets and they sent you a roo?

I wish I got a free chick with my order...

Thank you everyone.

PO just called to say that my package of chickens has arrived. Too bad I am at work 40 miles away for the next 12 hrs. DH will have to pick them up and now I don't get to see them until tonight!!

Wish me luck as I am sure I will have many many many more questions!!

WolfTrack,

The extra chick in your order was because you ordered a larger number. They sent an extra of something you already wanted, to hedge against a loss of a chick enroute. If they send you 25 and one dies, then they owe you 1. If they send 26 and 1 dies, then you are even. Since you ordered a large amount, 1 extra wont make a bid difference to you. But those of us ordering a small number, can only handle the number we order, so an extra, if they all survive, is a hugh problem for us.

A packing peanut (which MPY doesn't do) is normally a random male that they have too many of. They are put into small orders for extra warmth. The problem of what to do with them is then your problem.

-David

J. Smitty :

Hi All,

Also we ordered 8 different kinds of chickens, how will I tell them apart? The polish will be easy, but we also have EE, Orphinton, RIR, Barred Rock, Leghorn, Austrolop.

Thanks all.

Hi! Welcome!

As to your breeds, I think MPC has some nice photos of chicks and adults on their website, so it should be pretty easy to pick out some of the chicks. The EE will probably have greenish-colored legs, if you ordered a white leghorn, the chick will be yellow.

I hope all your chicks will do great!

Melissa​

Back
Top Bottom