Does my run *need* to be a walk-in?

Hi all! New to chickens and starting to plan my permanent run for my 12 BSL pullets.

My run will be long and skinny : 21’x5’ and built along the outer wall of our barn (the coop is a room inside the barn).

My question is… does it really need to tall enough for me to walk in it? I know it would probably be more convenient, but I also don’t want to dish up the extra costs. If I can keep it short it will be 4’ tall. Would make sections of the roof removable so that I could enter once in a blue moon.

Any opinions on this? I really don’t know how often I would have to enter the run for cleaning etc…. They would have access to a bigger fenced yard in the summer (when I am home to keep an eye on them). All opinions are welcome!
that depends. are you okay with crawling through it for a stray egg or a sick/injured chicken?

Being such a narrow 5ft wide space, I'd be inclined to make it taller so they can utilize this vertical space with a few perches, especially if they're stuck indoors with snow on the ground. Do the math and crunch the numbers on materials, if you're buying full rolls I'd be inclined to use it all up vs only using partial roll and having leftovers

My coop is 6'x6' and isn't designed to be walk-in.
It's a couple feet off the ground, and so when I need to clean it out, I can scoop/sweep the floor right into my wheelbarrow or cart.
It's tall enough that I can stand inside if needed, but I try not to go into it, if I can help it.

My question is… does it really need to tall enough for me to walk in it? I know it would probably be more convenient, but I also don’t want to dish up the extra costs. If I can keep it short it will be 4’ tall. Would make sections of the roof removable so that I could enter once in a blue moon.

How old are you?

Do you have any physical limitations?

Will anyone else ever have to take over the chores?

I found it absolutely backbreaking to try to clean out a low run and my low-roofed brooder. If you're young, athletic, and free of any physical limitations and you will never have to ask someone else to do the chores for you, then a low run is manageable if you're constantly careful in there.

But lumber and wire costs less than an ER bill: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-reason-to-build-a-full-height-coop-run.1484191/

Thanks all for the advice!

Upon hearing your opinions I managed to find some (free) scrap material that hopefully will make for a good strong run, tall enough for me to stand in.

The issue right now with my planning is that I am learning as I go. Although I could probably make a short run work it sounds like I’d regret it in future for cleaning, maintenance etc. Right now the temporary run consists of a trampoline wrapped in chicken wire and it is time I made some decisions and built them something more permanent!

Loads of great advice here already. I can tell you personally that the thing we learned was that your back and your knees will thank you in so many ways when things are far more accessible. We've got an Omlet Cube with a 9 foot run, attached to a Walk In Run. It's a pain in the a$$ to have to crotch down, get on one's knees, scoop the poop, get to a hen that wants to outsmart you, etc. This is really a long-term investment. No, you don't have to spend tons of money (our Cube is a used model, only way I could afford it!), but between your accessibility and making sure it is as predator proof as possible, definitely go for the higher height. Wishing you the best!

I had quail, so I had several short pens under my raised deck. I had a whole army of reaching devices and grabbers to get the eggs haha. We had a major flood, and it brought in new predators that killed my quail, so I started making a walk in aviary. My friend gave me eggs her chicken layed and had hidden late in the fall, and I ended up with 6 pullets. I put them into a short pen under the deck, and it was a real hassle, there would often be a stray egg in a hard to reach place, chicken poop is way larger than quail poop and smells worse when you have to crawl thru it lol. Chickens would be standing in my hair while I flailed around blindly trying to get eggs or lost bowls and stuff. Being able to walk into the aviary and pick up anything I need without getting covered in poop is such a luxury, I don’t know how I lived without it.

Anything built to be permanent should have old age in mind. If you hurt your knees or your back, how would you fare? I would opt for a height that will serve you if you are having trouble getting around.

I also think that 21 x5 feet is small for more than three chickens. You might consider using electric netting if overhead predators are not a problem. Not only would you give them more space, but you can move it about so they are on fresh ground every week or so. Not to mention much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom