Does my run *need* to be a walk-in?

Anything built to be permanent should have old age in mind. If you hurt your knees or your back, how would you fare? I would opt for a height that will serve you if you are having trouble getting around.

I also think that 21 x5 feet is small for more than three chickens. You might consider using electric netting if overhead predators are not a problem. Not only would you give them more space, but you can move it about so they are on fresh ground every week or so. Not to mention much cheaper.
The plan is to give them access to a larger yard during summer. This is considered their “lockdown” run, for when we are away for a couple of days or in winter when snow is too deep (which unfortunately will be a decent chunk of the year) Their barn coop is quite spacious, I am making this run so that they have outdoor access even when they need to be more secure.

The plan is to give them access to a larger yard during summer. This is considered their “lockdown” run, for when we are away for a couple of days or in winter when snow is too deep (which unfortunately will be a decent chunk of the year) Their barn coop is quite spacious, I am making this run so that they have outdoor access even when they need to be more secure.
I think you’re giving them plenty of “lockdown” space, for the record. It sounds like a good setup.

The low run could be easy enough if you put a lot of openable panels on one side so you can reach inside it with a rake.

Its narrowness probably reduces its value to chickens, as you won't be able to put much stuff in there without creating narrow spots where it's hard for the loser to escape after a fight.

I expect you'll find that the chickens are into being out in bad weather more than you wish they'd be.

In my view a run of 21 feet by 5 feet isn't fit for 1 chicken never mind 12. At 105 square feet your run doesn't even meet the minimum recommended here on BYC which is a measely space for a bird that when let range will happily traverse an acre or more of land.

I think the recommendations are in the wrong paradigm -- square feet per bird. People keeping exotic animals informed me that the enclosure is big enough if the animal doesn't try to rush out or back into a corner when you open the door. At 10'x20', four chickens seemed to want out all the time and would rush the gate or try to sneak out, at 30'X20' eight chickens are casual about going out of the run, though they do run up to people hoping for treats. It would be better to go by 'space enough to be a chicken properly' (evidently somewhere more than 10x20) + some additional square feet per bird past a certain number.

I expect you'll find that the chickens are into being out in bad weather more than you wish they'd be.
I am assuming they won’t like to be out in the snow, but we will see!
We have temperatures reach below -30c in winter (not including wind chill) in which case they will be contained to their insulated barn coop with plenty of bedding.

This is also the reason for the thin run against the barn. It has to be strong enough to hold the snow load coming off of the barn roof in winter. And thin enough so that (hopefully) the sloped roof won’t hold too much of that snow. Not ideal but it’s what’s I could come up with with the materials we have on the farm.

Our hot summers and extremely cold winters caused me a lot of stress in the chicken planning! I’m sure it will be a learn as we go situation. Thankfully BSL are hardy birds.

Overdue update, thank you all for your advice!

Used materials around the farm to build the covered run with plenty of room to stand up in. Pictured here with the fenced summer yard.
A7DAC07B-DD32-4CE0-A80D-130CBD933E37.jpeg

Chickens are very pleased and so am I as I find myself in the run with them constantly.
09E07711-E812-49BC-9D97-13C5413CC440.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom