Does only one rooster crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PatS, Sep 14, 2009.

1. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Our flock of BOs is 14 weeks old today. One of the three roosters crows, the other two don't. Is there a "chicken rule" that states that only the boss rooster crows or will the others start getting noisy, too?

The crowing rooster is the one DH and I both "recognize" as the alpha rooster. We show him preference with treats, and so on. But the other roosters still challenge him. All the chickens seem to recognize us as dominant, they run to us, come when we call, and so on. Can we affect who is the top chicken in the pecking order?

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    they will all eventually crow. i have 3

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

All 3 of mine crow. One crows a LOT more than the other 2.

4. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

My three have crowing contests every morning, especially saturday when we could sleep late.

5. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually have one that crows most of the time and the others not as much. i think it is only that alpha that does most of the crowing

6. littleamber26

littleamber26 Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    I've been wondering this too. I've got 3 10 weeks old chickens that have obvious comb and wattles that are red. One is DEFINITELY a cockerel "hei hei" (my kids love moana) crows morning noon and night. Well I have two others that I'm still questioning. My black one "Cleo or Leo" doesn't crow, has relatively long tail feathers but no obvious saddle feathers and doesn't crow or even offer to. The third one doesn't either. I'm just curious if this no crowing thing could be helping me decide if they're cockerels or really developed pullets . They appear to be Cochins or some mix with Cochin in them, their feet are feathered, some More heavily than others.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by