Does raising DP for meat equal out?

Quote:
It baffles the mind why humans do what they do...how could anyone have possibly thought that adding these things could be good???

Quote:
Mine have about 3/4 of an acre with lots of rock crevices and grass as well.I know they're good at getting bugs because before I got them I was having a japanese beetle issue...last year I saw a total of 3.There are also less spiders around...at least out back!They are constantly foraging through leaves,rocks,grass all season until snow flies so I am assuming they forage well for what space they have..I also get scraps for them from my job,my mom,(who ALWAYS buys too many fresh fruits and veggies than one person can eat)etc.I do go through quite a bit of feed as well though,and am going through a lot more right now.

Quote:
My daughter as well has allergies but the doc thinks milk proteins...I personally think it's one of the preservatives they use in foods.She gets bad stomach aches and shakes uncontrollably.It's one of the reasons we're trying to get away from as much store bought as possible.

My daughters stomach bloats, gets rock hard and hurts. She doesn't have any shaking though. They have tested her for everything they can think of and kinda gave up so I started my own testing. As long as I make everything home made she has no problems. She eats all the same foods, just not "premade". Some things just aren't the same though.......

I know,my daughter's ticked right now because she is getting a lot of organic food...not that she minds that but she's used to getting pre-made whenever she wanted.We tried rice milk for the first time this week...LOL....the cats won't even drink it!

Quote:
It's a "British White." I never heard of the Randall breed, so I looked them up. They sure are pretty!

The calf's not mine, I just saw the pic on the web and thought it was really cute...

I've often wondered how many people notice that I sell "Black Angus beef," but have a white calf as my avatar!
lol.png
I really should use a Black Angus for my avatar, but I just love that pic... I have mostly Black Angus, but I do have two Black Angus x Texas Longhorn cows that are colored just like my avatar.

Quote:
I have currently, 8 (soon to be four) roos that are all production reds save one who is an australorp mom and ?? dad.My hens vary some though....BR,GLW,Welsummer,NH's,BJG's,Production reds,and some barnyard mixes.And yes,the humane factor is huge along with the chemical free aspect.

Those are all good DP breeds for meat. Your best meat breed is probably your NHs.

Also, you may already know this, but a Pro. Red or Aussie roo crossed with your BR hens will make Black Sexlinks.

At any rate, Pro. Reds and Aussies are excellent egg production breeds, so their pullets will make very good layers.
wink.png

Quote:
I have currently, 8 (soon to be four) roos that are all production reds save one who is an australorp mom and ?? dad.My hens vary some though....BR,GLW,Welsummer,NH's,BJG's,Production reds,and some barnyard mixes.And yes,the humane factor is huge along with the chemical free aspect.

Those are all good DP breeds for meat. Your best meat breed is probably your NHs.

Also, you may already know this, but a Pro. Red or Aussie roo crossed with your BR hens will make Black Sexlinks.

At any rate, Pro. Reds and Aussies are excellent egg production breeds, so their pullets will make very good layers.
wink.png

I would say your best meat breed is the BJG, although the NHs might be more economical due to slow maturity of the giants.

If you cross or breed a Production red to a Production Red, you are breeding to hybrids and may not get the egg laying prowess of the parent stock. Same with breeding a Production Red Roo to other breeds. If you are interested in a self sufficient flock, you should get at least one if not two non-hybrid roosters. They then could be bred to your other hens (of the same breed) and propagate your flock. Cross bred hybrids will do OK for a generation or three, but they will loose the production traits with time.

I have RIR, Orpington cross hens that are great layers but I do not expect the same would be true with these mutts offspring. They are great egg layers and will make great dinner guests.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I don't agree with this. It matters little whether they are purebred, specific crosses, or mutts. The traits any of these pass down depends on your ability to select for the traits you want. Unless you do careful culling of purebred flocks, their quality will deteriorate as quickly as a mutt flock. A carefully culled mutt flock can maintain very high standards. I do agree you need to start with quality stock, whether purebred or mutts.

I use culling to mean selecting which ones you want to breed.

Quote:

wink.png

OMG! No,I didn't! That is soo awesome! I'm gonna have to keep some of those!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Tell me about it...this site has helped me sooooo many times!Lot's of really nice,chicken smart peeps on here...very helpful too! Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom