Does red light count as daylight?

LeahOregon

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Portland, OR
Hi All...this is my first post. Just got our 4 ladies on Saturday (1 barred rock, 1 white rock, 1 red star, 1 black star). They are all between 4-5 months old, but so far the white rock is the only one who's been laying (5 eggs so far!). Based on comb development, I don't think the stars are ready, but the barred rock should be itching to lay soon.

I'd like to give them the recommended 14 hours of daylight to encourage eggs production, but I'm wondering if the 100w red bulb I have in their coop will suffice, or should I replace it with a regular white bulb?

Thanks for your input!

Leah

welcome-byc.gif

Hi there! Red lights are not meant to replace daylight. They provide "heat" without the "side effects" of light. I bet once your girls have settled in and are getting layer feed they will start laying without supplementing with artificial light. The days are slowly getting longer and they will get into the swing of things
smile.png

Jenny

welcome-byc.gif

I would replace the red bulb with the white bulb.
smile.png
Also a little egg laying tip: add some cayenne pepper to their feed, it should make them all start laying.
smile.png

So glad you joined us.
D.gif

I actually did add a little cayenne to their feed today, after scouring these message boards. So much great information here!
smile.png

Long days are on their way . . .

You said yourself you dont think theyre ready, and at 4-5 months, they are just gettin there . . .

You also said that 1 gave you 5 eggs since saturday, thats great!

Patience.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

welcome-byc.gif

I would replace the red bulb with the white bulb.
smile.png
Also a little egg laying tip: add some cayenne pepper to their feed, it should make them all start laying.
smile.png

So glad you joined us.
D.gif

Not to hi-jack your thread but I have a clarification question about adding Cayenne pepper. Most of my flock is right around the corner from laying (only three so far) however I have two much younger EEs that have a few months to go before they're ready. Will the cayenne hurt them at all or freak out their systems since they're not at POL? Thanks for the info, I'm hoping to get the rest of the older girls laying as hubby is anxious for lots of eggs.​

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Oh, really! I haven't added any cayenne pepper to my chicken's feed yet, I'm not sure if I want any more eggs!! Today I got 30 eggs.

I have a feeling the OP will be thinking the same thing in about 3-4 weeks . . .
wink.png

I don't think cayenne will hurt your younger hens that aren't laying yet. But to be on the safe side when you feed cayenne you could just feed it to the hens that are laying.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I don't think cayenne will hurt your younger hens that aren't laying yet. But to be on the safe side when you feed cayenne you could just feed it to the hens that are laying.

Ok, so will they just eat it out my hands like they attack everything else? Or should I sprinkle it on something yummy and give the younger girls a non-sprinkled version?​

Back
Top Bottom