Does repetition help tame a parakeet?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Whenever I want to take my parakeet out of his cage I have to chase him inside his cage with my hand and then I gentle grab him. If I keep doing this everyday will he eventually learn that I am not a threat?

That's never a good way to tame them
The best way is to first get it used to you being near their cage, then placing your hands around or on the cage until they seem comfortable, then start sitting there with your hand in the cage with treats, eventually slowly move your hand farther and farther until they have to come out of the cage to eat the treats
NEVER grab your bird unless it's an emergency it breaks their trust
They need to learn to approach you on their own, do not force them

Last edited:
That's never a good way to tame them
The best way is to first get it used to you being near their, then placing your hands around or on the cage until they seem comfortable, then start sitting there with your hand in the cage with treats, eventually slowly move your hand farther and farther until they have to come out of the cage to eat the treats
NEVER grab your bird unless it's an emergency it breaks their trust
They need to learn to approach you on their own, do not force them
But that will take a long time. Why can’t exposure therapy (used in human psychology treatments) be used? Has anybody else had success in interacting with their bird on a daily basis and the end result was a bird used to human interaction?

And also, why is it wrong to gentle grab a parakeet but it is okay to grab and pickup a chicken? They are both birds.

But that will take a long time. Why can’t exposure therapy (used in human psychology treatments) be used? Has anybody else had success in interacting with their bird on a daily basis and the end result was a bird used to human interaction?
They will get used to it, but you will have a relationship built on submission and fear, rather than mutual trust and bonding.

Can somebody please answer the question of why you shouldn’t gently grab a parakeet but it is okay to grab a chicken or baby chick?

Does the same apply to grabbing and picking up a baby chicken?
If you are regularly going out and chasing your chickens around the run and cornering them and grabbing them everyday, then yes, I would say it does. If you really want to build that bond with your bird I would seriously consider taking the time and patience to connect with it.

Back
Top Bottom