Does she need a bath?

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
A few of my hens regularly spend the night cuddled together on top of the nesting boxes. Last night, someone laid 2 soft shelled eggs (mine are all very new to laying, so I'm not concerned about that). I found one just sitting there and then the membrane of another with a yolk spot on the box. So, they broke it. Probably expected, especially since it was likely laid in the dark.

So, the actual issue is that it appears that my marans is the one that broke it. Must've stepped on it and possibly laid in it. She has dried yolk all over one of her legs (and she has a decent amount of leg feathers) and a little on her low feathers and some one her wing. It seems to be really bothering her. She'll take a few steps and then bend down and start picking at her legs. Do I need to give her a bath? Or will she get it all off in a dust bath later?

I typically don't suggest bathing a chicken unless it's an emergency or for a show. With egg yolk, I typically don't do anything about it when it's on my girls (which is usually from them egg eating). How it's bothering your girl, try holding a warm wet cloth to her leg to soften it up and wipe it off. Another thing you can do is have her sit in a pan of water and soften it up that way. Personally, I'd allow her to get it out by preening and dust bathing, but those are things you can do to help her instead.

Back
Top Bottom