Does she or Doesn't She?

ColbertChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Look like a roo? This is Bailey and she's about 5 1/2 weeks old. She's the one on the left next to my former Ophelia who is now Hamlet!

88138_imgp1279.jpg

88138_imgp1294.jpg

88138_imgp1292.jpg

And here is Omelette. I was told she was an Araucana and I would love to have blue eggs. Should I get my hopes up?

88138_imgp1297.jpg

88138_imgp1293.jpg

Hope these pictures are enough. I can certainly take more. Thanks so much...

I hope this wont get the fireworks started....I would say about 90% sure its a she. Unfortunately that is a "EE", its a Easter Egger. Its definately not a araucana. It has to have a beard and muffs to be a americana, so that would place it as a EE. There is a great thread on here defining the difference.

Looks like a great bunch of chicks youve got.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

The barred rock is definitely a roo (1st pic), 2nd picture looks like a roo, the red bird in the 3rd pic is also a roo, and the Easter Egger (pic 4-5) looks like a girl so maybe you'll get blue or green eggs from her.

The first three pix are of the same bird (the RIR) that I am really hoping isn't a he. The 4th and 5th are of my EE(thank you Cindy Jeann
smile.png
) who I REALLY hope is a girl because I want blue eggs!

I have another question. I only have 7 chicks. If 2 of them turn out to be roosters will they all be one big happy family or will there not be enough hens for 2 boys?

I would say its a pullet. As for you "araucana, its not an araucana, it would be an EE. The way you can tell of the bat is that she has tail feathers. Araucanas are rumpless and they have slate legs not green. It is not an AMERAUCANA (notice spelling, there is no i in ameraucana) because one her color, two her green legs, she should have slate legs like the araucana, and three her color pattern. Just an FYI hatchers and feed stores may list there EE's as ameracaunas or araucanas but they never are, they are always EE's. There are very high standards in the AM's and araus that you need to breed to for it to qualify as one and hatcherys dont want to spend time doing this. Not trying to be snobby here or anything just trying to give you a little helpful info.

Quote:
Your EE is a girl and oh you can keep two roos together fine if they grow up together. I know there is alot of thought that they will fight and have problems but if they have been raised together they should be fine, the problem is when you have two roos who where not raised together and you try and put them together. So if you want your two roos and can have them with no problem then i would keep them.

Your EE is a girl and oh you can keep two roos together fine if they grow up together. I know there is alot of thought that they will fight and have problems but if they have been raised together they should be fine, the problem is when you have two roos who where not raised together and you try and put them together. So if you want your two roos and can have them with no problem then i would keep them.

Thanks Jferlisi! I got both the BR and the RIR on the same day from the PULLET bin
roll.png
They seem to get along fine so far. Do you think the RIR is indeed a roo?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom