Does something really happen when you open the incubator?

MrDankYT

Songster
6 Years
Feb 11, 2017
My turkeys lay 2 eggs a day and for some reason double yolked ones now but before that i collected 9 eggs and put in my incubator because my turkeys have only hatched eggs of their own one time in a whole year and that ended up with only one chick and it was killed my the father :(.
Although i've had success with incubator and now im wondering because my mom told me to never open the incubator because the eggs will die or something, i think it's a load of bs because chickens leave the nest to get food and water.
So what im trying to get from this is, does something really happen when you open the incubator?

I hand turn my eggs, so I have to open the incubator, I agree, chickens do leave their nests, but to be safe I'd avoid opening it up, especially when your turkeys hatch and are still in the incubator to dry off, they can catch a draft and die.

I have four chicken eggs in the incubator right know I have to hand turn them so I open my incubator five times a day but when it’s lock down you never want to open the bator I’m only on day ten but when day 18 comes don’t open it at fear that it can hurt the chicks

But I don’t know any thing about turkey eggs I’ve never had turkeys and have never incubated there eggs so don’t know if chicken eggs and turkey eggs are the same but I hope This helps good luck with your hatch

I open during lockdown to remove hatched chicks, assist when necessary and add water. It’s really not as big of a deal as some people say. As long as the temp and humidity are staying in a healthy range, you should have no problems.

Some people actually cool the eggs down for a few minutes every day, mimicking a broody hen.

I open during lockdown to remove hatched chicks, assist when necessary and add water. It’s really not as big of a deal as some people say. As long as the temp and humidity are staying in a healthy range, you should have no problems.
This^^^
...and make sure you calibrate your therms and hygros.
This is how I do that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

The temp and humidity in the room the incubator is in can have an effect as to how fast the incubator comes back up to temp and humidity.

made it seem like i don't know anything about this haha i only open max every 5 days to candle but now i've done it and im waiting 3 weeks -3 days for lockdown when im taking out the turning tray. Amazingly i got 8/8 eggs fertile so that's good but im not sure if everyone will survive but i hope so! When candling turkey eggs you need a really bright flashlight for last week because then it's hard to see with a phone flashlight but it works first few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom