Does Squatting Mean the Chicken Is Going to Lay Soon?

Congratulations on your ALMOST first eggs! Most exciting!!! :lol::love:lol::ya:jumpy:jumpy:ya:bun:jumpy:jumpy
Yes exciting - getting eggs and peaches this year - what a bonus hahaha! Just want to make sure that third one isn't laying her eggs somewhere in the barn where I don't find them! She did lay the first one in the nest box - but the 'oops' soft egg she laid a few hours after the first was deposited in front of my office door here in the barn! Good thing I saw it ha! I think Fluffy was as surprised as I was with that soft egg, she was giving it some confused looks. As long as she is ok though all is good.

Oh, she may be... I know my chickens would and do :th. If I suspect a wanderer, usually because of a bossy hen, scary or dirty nest box, broken egg etc. I of course check boxes and fix problems but every so many days I will track my hens when they start singing. Don't let them see you, they are sneaky.
45323.jpeg
20210723_140701.jpg
20210826_124615.jpg
you can always lock them in but that could take the fun out of it 😉

I should add that I moved my chickens up the mountain for the summer where we have a cabin... pretty sure to lay in the boxes is no fun when you have a forest. I'd imagine boxes would be no fun if you had a barn too.

I should add that I moved my chickens up the mountain for the summer where we have a cabin... pretty sure to lay in the boxes is no fun when you have a forest. I'd imagine boxes would be no fun if you had a barn too.
Too many predators here (Central Ontario) for my gals to wander at will. My 2 roosters Roxanne and Stanley (I was optimistic Roxanne was a hen haha), were killed by a fox a couple months ago. I chased the fox he had Roxy but couldn't catch him, then found poor Stan-the-Man dead in my front paddock. Since then everyone is on lockdown and I have electric netting for an outside run area.

I am not sure if a Coopers Hawk can take a Silkie but I bet an owl could so I am planning on putting a cover on the run, there are also coyotes, wolves, fishers, mink, racoons, bears and not to mention the neighbourhood dogs. This is why I have my Hen House in the barn - I am way too paranoid to let them have an outside coop! Just last nicght I dreamt my gals were attacked by a Snowy Owl (which I grabbed and threw out the barn door haha), and then a large Rat. Not sure what I ate last night to give me those dreams hahaha.

I let the chickies all have a wee run-about in the morning when I kick the horses out - they love to climb the manure pile and get crickets and such. But I don't dare let them wander at will. I think my gals enjoy laying in the nest box - I showed Henny-Penny when she first laid her eggs and the other just follow suit! They aren't shy about letting me see them with their eggs and walk by my office door and squawk and cluck to let me know they are going to lay an egg, then when done they come over and start trumpeting.... but then they are spoilt brats who think nothing of jumping onto my desk to beg for treats! Usually during a Teams meeting with my crew :)

Too many predators here (Central Ontario) for my gals to wander at will. My 2 roosters Roxanne and Stanley (I was optimistic Roxanne was a hen haha), were killed by a fox a couple months ago. I chased the fox he had Roxy but couldn't catch him, then found poor Stan-the-Man dead in my front paddock. Since then everyone is on lockdown and I have electric netting for an outside run area.

I am not sure if a Coopers Hawk can take a Silkie but I bet an owl could so I am planning on putting a cover on the run, there are also coyotes, wolves, fishers, mink, racoons, bears and not to mention the neighbourhood dogs. This is why I have my Hen House in the barn - I am way too paranoid to let them have an outside coop! Just last nicght I dreamt my gals were attacked by a Snowy Owl (which I grabbed and threw out the barn door haha), and then a large Rat. Not sure what I ate last night to give me those dreams hahaha.

I let the chickies all have a wee run-about in the morning when I kick the horses out - they love to climb the manure pile and get crickets and such. But I don't dare let them wander at will. I think my gals enjoy laying in the nest box - I showed Henny-Penny when she first laid her eggs and the other just follow suit! They aren't shy about letting me see them with their eggs and walk by my office door and squawk and cluck to let me know they are going to lay an egg, then when done they come over and start trumpeting.... but then they are spoilt brats who think nothing of jumping onto my desk to beg for treats! Usually during a Teams meeting with my crew :)
I gotta ask, what is your livelihood that your office is in your barn? Cuz I am pretty sure when I get reincarnated I want to be one of your chickens. You do provide mealworms right? 😋

I gotta ask, what is your livelihood that your office is in your barn? Cuz I am pretty sure when I get reincarnated I want to be one of your chickens. You do provide mealworms right? 😋
:) I work for myself; nope no mealworms - too expensive. But right now I have an over abundance of Japanese Beetles that keep them entertained, and my Peach tree was just picked over - just gave them a soft peach - I feared for my life they went crazy fighting over that peach!

:) I work for myself; nope no mealworms - too expensive. But right now I have an over abundance of Japanese Beetles that keep them entertained, and my Peach tree was just picked over - just gave them a soft peach - I feared for my life they went crazy fighting over that peach!
Oh, just thought your ponies may be your business with your office in your barn and all.

We have a couple of mules ourselves, western pleasure, so always curious about all things equine. No barn but absolutely love them- if I have a next dream home it will be above a barn.
46231 (2).jpeg
46236.jpeg
46234.jpeg

Nope I have 4 hayburners (used to raise and show horses but no more market for horses here, or anywhere for that matter); your paints are lovely! Mine are 2 Pony-of-the Americas mares both born here, 1 Arabian mare also born here, and a SPCA rescued Thoroughbred mare, who are 19, 20 and 21 yrs old. All are broke to ride, and all have been shown. I ride Western/English Pleasure, Eventing (which I don't do anymore too old and so are the horses!), and booting around in the County Forest pleasure riding. I am a fair weather rider which means I might get to ride about 2 months out of the year here. So my gals are all princesses who hardly work! hahaha.

When I first got these chickens my Arab mare was freaked out hahaha but now she really enjoys them, I think it is her 'TV' entertainment, she enjoys watching them squabble, fight and carry on :)

Many times when I am working here I can see her stall and she can see me so we both get to enjoy the chickens and commune together enjoying the entertainment. I don't normally work from home, usually I am somewhere in the wilds somewhere remote so being home is a real treat and HOPE to continue to do so till I retire hahahahaha!
Oh, just thought your ponies may be your business with your office in your barn and all.

We have a couple of mules ourselves, western pleasure, so always curious about all things equine. No barn but absolutely love them- if I have a next dream home it will be above a barn.
View attachment 2816612View attachment 2816613View attachment 2816614

Not sure what you do for work but it already sounds awesome.
We have feral chickens up the wazoo here, good and bad and coexisting is just part of the deal for us.
Well, hope you get good entertainment from the barn tube, and I hope you get in a nice ride b4 the weather turns. Aloha~°°°
46358.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom