Does the Chicken house need a roof?

Hi, and welcome to BYC! I think a roof is a must, if you want to keep your chickens longer that a week or two. Also, I have a 6ft. high fence all the way around my run, and a couple of the hens can fly out with no problem, and they're considered heavy breeds. I think your chickens will be happier with a roof over them, especially in one of those downpours!

Something no one else has mentioned yet - if you don't have a bird proof run you'll lose a good percentage of your (expensive!) feed to the wild bird population and also risk introducing mites, viruses etc to your chickens from the wild birds as well.

Quote:
I agree with Nonny. A flock of sparrows around here can eat a bag of wild bird seed in an afternoon(25lb bag). The lice and mites are also a big concern for your flock. At bare minimum you could cover your run with 1 inch chicken wire?

Hey guys, I have a chicken run For 3 2 1/2 month old chickens, an I just use a old cooler with a blanket in it as the chicken house? They don't lay eggs yet. And it is 60-80 degrees on average, at night it hits 50. Will they be warm enough with out. Real chicken coop?
This is until we build our giant chicken coop next week.

Back
Top Bottom