Does the shaft of a chickens feather have feeling!? Help I don't know!!

CE -4545

Chirping
Oct 28, 2018
My chicken Tanny has got some poo and leaves suck to her bottom and I was thinking that I would just cut it off. But then I thought does the shaft of her feathers have feeling? I should know but I honestly don't. Do they? Please tell me
upload_2018-10-30_13-15-31.jpeg

Your best bet is to give her a long soak in a warm soapy bath. Wear latex gloves and periodically try to remove some of the yuck, and just generally clean the area.

It's likely vent gleet. Treatment options can be read here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/

Edit: I should note that cutting/shearing the feathers won't hurt. The problem is though that it may attract other hens to peck at the area. This will hurt her and will exacerbate the issue, potentially causing other issues.

Thank you all! I will cut her poop will sizers and research.

See my edit above. How many hens do you have? Clearing the area of feathers will create the potential for a pecking issue. You really don't want a vent pecking issue within your flock.

Really! oh no she also has leg mites! My poor girl!

The image isn't clear, but they do look a bit scaly. Mix Permethrin powder with water as per label instructions and dip each of your hens in it to the neck. Allow them to dry through before nightfall. Remove all bedding and debris and use the permethrin mix to spray the coop and run, thoroughly. Rinse, repeat until mites are eradicated.

I wouldn't jump to the vent gleet conclusion just yet.
I wouldn't soak yet either.

Get in there and clip those dingle berries off,
cut the involved feathers about 1/2" from the skin.
Take good look at what's going on at skin level all around vent.
Could just be super fluffy butt didn't get one cleaned off and that one grabbed the following poops.

Clipping a few feathers is likely to take care of the problem, and not likely to attract cannibalistic pecking from the other birds.

I am using spray for her mites (bought from the vet). She definitely does have vent glent and have started feeding her yogurt I hope it helps. I don't think a pecking problem will start because the feathers have been gone for a while and I have had no issues but I will keep a close eye on her.

I am using spray for her mites (bought from the vet). She definitely does have vent glent and have started feeding her yogurt I hope it helps. I don't think a pecking problem will start because the feathers have been gone for a while and I have had no issues but I will keep a close eye on her.
Yogurt is a healthy treat but it won’t clear up gleet. Use monostat or other ointments made for women with yeast infections. It could be either fungal or bacterial. I know it’s a chore but to wash/soak her really helps clear things up. The fungal type of gleet you can use ointment made for athletes feet.
If you leave it untreated you run the risk of her reproductive system becoming affected. Best to care for her now. Yeast infections ~yuck!

Back
Top Bottom