Does this always mean Rooster?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tylerhearn, Nov 6, 2011.

1. tylerhearn

tylerhearn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    Hey all, I hope that you all can help with a dilemma that I am in. I was out with my four "girls" yesterday and was watching them play, eat mealworms etc. when I notice that my Polish/EE andd whatever else cross/mutt that I thought by now was for sure a girl has a greenish tint to some of the feathers on her back and on her head.

Does this greenish tint always mean rooster? I thought not, but I have seen some posts saying that the green tint does? I will get some pictures up soon. She is roughly 21 weeks and has no signs of a rooster, but that green threw me off!

Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nope, depending upon the genetics hens as well as roosters can evidence the greenish tint. As long as the feather shape is not pointed or flowing, you probably have a pullet.

3. tylerhearn

Sep 2, 2011
    Quote:Wonderful! Breath of fresh air. Thank you for the information. Correct me if I am wrong, but at 21 weeks I should be able to see more rooster qualities, no?

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:Wonderful! Breath of fresh air. Thank you for the information. Correct me if I am wrong, but at 21 weeks I should be able to see more rooster qualities, no?

yes, post a pic to be sure, but you'd probably know if it was a roo by now. Hens can have green tint as well, especially if it's a black chicken. Like this one, which is definitely a girl:

[​IMG]

5. tylerhearn

Sep 2, 2011

yes, post a pic to be sure, but you'd probably know if it was a roo by now. Hens can have green tint as well, especially if it's a black chicken. Like this one, which is definitely a girl:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51848_langshan1jpg.jpg

Awesome. Thank you again so much! And yes, my girl is black with some white spots. Makes me feel better!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by