Does this always mean Rooster?!

tylerhearn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
Hey all, I hope that you all can help with a dilemma that I am in. I was out with my four "girls" yesterday and was watching them play, eat mealworms etc. when I notice that my Polish/EE andd whatever else cross/mutt that I thought by now was for sure a girl has a greenish tint to some of the feathers on her back and on her head.

Does this greenish tint always mean rooster? I thought not, but I have seen some posts saying that the green tint does? I will get some pictures up soon. She is roughly 21 weeks and has no signs of a rooster, but that green threw me off!

Thanks for the help!

big_smile.png

Nope, depending upon the genetics hens as well as roosters can evidence the greenish tint. As long as the feather shape is not pointed or flowing, you probably have a pullet.

Quote:
Wonderful! Breath of fresh air. Thank you for the information. Correct me if I am wrong, but at 21 weeks I should be able to see more rooster qualities, no?

Quote:
Wonderful! Breath of fresh air. Thank you for the information. Correct me if I am wrong, but at 21 weeks I should be able to see more rooster qualities, no?

yes, post a pic to be sure, but you'd probably know if it was a roo by now. Hens can have green tint as well, especially if it's a black chicken. Like this one, which is definitely a girl:

51848_langshan1jpg.jpg

Quote:

yes, post a pic to be sure, but you'd probably know if it was a roo by now. Hens can have green tint as well, especially if it's a black chicken. Like this one, which is definitely a girl:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51848_langshan1jpg.jpg

Awesome. Thank you again so much! And yes, my girl is black with some white spots. Makes me feel better!

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom