Does this baby chick have club foot?

Oct 12, 2017
Indiana
He just hatched a few hours ago, and seems to have odd feet. His legs are fine but his feet seem off. Will this go away within a few hours and is normal? Or should I make him little cardboard shoes?1
image.jpg

He just hatched a few hours ago, and seems to have odd feet. His legs are fine but his feet seem off. Will this go away within a few hours and is normal? Or should I make him little cardboard shoes?1View attachment 2057040
Give that chick time to get it's land legs under it and stand up on it's own before jumping to any conclusions. It just looks like they are curled from still sitting down. :fl

Unless he is a late hatcher.. no reason to have him out of the incubator yet, really. :)

Got others already.. or more on their way? :pop

Give that chick time to get it's land legs under it and stand up on it's own before jumping to any conclusions. It just looks like they are curled from still sitting down. :fl

Unless he is a late hatcher.. no reason to have him out of the incubator yet, really. :)

Got others already.. or more on their way? :pop
Well, one chick hatched before him but it had a dislocated hip, so I put it down. He was the only one left in the incubator so I decided to get him out. We are going to get him some more friends at the farm store though.

Well, one chick hatched before him but it had a dislocated hip, so I put it down.
That's a difficult but wise choice. :hugs
That's referred to as splayed leg, and while some think it's hatch conditions, I think it's genetic in some fashion after seeing in very few chicks no matter the substrate used for hatching and hatched under the same conditions as all others. Some people try to fix it, not me.

I agree with the second poster suggestion... and knowing a little background now, understand your concern. Has it shown any change yet? I write this at 4:50 pacific time.. Is it able to stand or does it try to walk towards you at all yet?

I especially recommend leaving them (or putting them back) inside the bator until the can actively stand to move in or out of the heat.

That's a difficult but wise choice. :hugs
That's referred to as splayed leg, and while some think it's hatch conditions, I think it's genetic in some fashion after seeing in very few chicks no matter the substrate used for hatching and hatched under the same conditions as all others. Some people try to fix it, not me.

I agree with the second poster suggestion... and knowing a little background now, understand your concern. Has it shown any change yet? I write this at 4:50 pacific time.. Is it able to stand or does it try to walk towards you at all yet?

I especially recommend leaving them (or putting them back) inside the bator until the can actively stand to move in or out of the heat.
He does walk and can stand for a few seconds but then goes back to crawling. His toes are usually twisted, though. We got him some friends at the farm store and they get along great.
image.jpg

He does walk and can stand for a few seconds but then goes back to crawling. His toes are usually twisted, though. We got him some friends at the farm store and they get along great.View attachment 2057477
Those chicks are too cute all together! :love

Get a supplement with some riboflavin if you haven't already to help the curly toed chick as it sounds like there could have been a deficiency in the egg.. Is that a Silky chick? Sometimes the hens can need more nutrients than average.. while eating eggs are fine hatching eggs have higher demand.
https://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/curled-toes/
https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency
Try adding the boot if it isn't improved by tomorrow.

Those chicks are too cute all together! :love

Get a supplement with some riboflavin if you haven't already to help the curly toed chick as it sounds like there could have been a deficiency in the egg.. Is that a Silky chick? Sometimes the hens can need more nutrients than average.. while eating eggs are fine hatching eggs have higher demand.
https://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/curled-toes/
https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency
Try adding the boot if it isn't improved by tomorrow.
I have Save-a-chick electrolytes in the water. The ingredients said it contains riboflavin so hopefully it helps. It is not a silkie. It is a LF barnyard mix with a Buff Orpington dad. I saw him get up and walk without curled toes for a couple of seconds so yay!

Back
Top Bottom